Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feathers or Vanes?

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Feathers or Vanes?

Feathers or Vanes?

Which do you prefer and why?

I am starting to lean toward feathers after I have bin using vanes for years.

Whats your opinion?

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hutch. I was shooting the 2 inch quick spins by NAP. Like the way they fly, but kinda noisy. Starting to switch over to Fusion vanes. Fletched a few arrows with them, and they seem to fly really well. Good at stabilizing broadheads too. I shot feathers years ago, but switched over to vanes for the durability in bad weather.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous C
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

i too am interested in feathers. When i took my bow course the instructor said he had been shooting vanes for years, his buddy said "try the feathers and you will never go back" he tryed them and has been using them for five years now. from what ive heard they add arrow speed out to about 40 yds. but after that it slows the arrow a little more than vanes. also i hear they get wet and dont fly very good but there is some stuff to put on them to avoid that. im really thinking about trying the razr feathers this year. none of my treestands offer a shot over 30 yds. any way in the hills i hunt!
    2010 Firecat Tr1, tru-glo microbrite, NAP Apache, X-coil Beman ics 400

Post Thanks / Like

Shot nothing but feathers for years, untill I got caught on the 3D course in a downpour. Arrows wound't fly right on the remaining targets, so I switched to 4" vanes and used them for years untill someone talked me into trying blazers and I haven't shot anything else since, except on my indoor bow which I still use feathers on.

Advantage Custom Strings

SonnyThomas

Default Feathers or Vanes?

I had feathers on my 2312 Super Lites and they worked great, but I'm die hard vane type guy.

It's kind of hard to just up and name a vane perference, just partial to Bohning Brand.

As of right now, 4" Bohnings on my hunting shafts and the Bohning X vane 1 3/4" Shield Cut on my target arrows.

Post Thanks / Like

Gateway feather powder & Bohning feather-dri both are under 10 bucks and work well..nothing works better then just keeping them dry thou
    Use a cover .. used to be the only thing a guy had was feathers.

I do like vanes but the recurve Don't, so its a mix for me..the target rig slings 30" shafts using 3" vane tec's low pro's
    5" Gateway shild cut feathers set on 32" shafts for the recurve .
    Have not desided on the new arrows for hunting rig. ( still have some 5" vanes on 29" shafts bit short now that I reset DL)
    Went with 2" Rayzr feathers for the youth hunters. sure like how they fly.. wife and other grankids all use the vane tec's cause thats what I orderd..lol
    Last edited by ElkSlayer; 02-14-2011 at 06:52 PM.
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

I have only shot vanes for the couple months I have been shooting, but now that most of the vanes are being torn off the arrows, I need to re-fletch and am thinking about switching to feathers. I just need to find out if I can put them through a whisker bisquit and if I should put them on helical or straight. Still trying to figure out all the details...if I can't use the WB, it might be a good reason to go buy a new rest.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

This is a "deja vu" thread. Hutch, you must be more careful now when you're in Barry's list Oh and i use both vanes and feathers, tell you the truth i'm not so experienced archer to feel any diference
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Only vanes now for general field shooting and hunting. (3) 4" in helical. Currently Flex-Fletch FFP360 (ok, so 3.6")
    Quality and consistency is good on the better brands, and I think they typically hold up much longer than feathers in all around outdoor conditions.

Had feathers of course back when I shot recurves, and even tried feathers again with one of my compounds for a while. Flight was great with them, but as far as I could tell, no better than vanes when my bow was well tuned. Also had more noise, especially after fraying a bit.......I do like the light weight of feathers which bump the speed up a little bit and helps FOC balance. They also can create more drag for better stabilizing, however this also slows arrow quicker so once past 30-40yds that extra speed is gone. (if that really matters at all)

On late season hunts during bad weather, feathers reminded me of hunting with my traditional muzzleloader and being carefull to "keep the power dry"......I could coat the feathers and/or cover them to keep them dry longer, but just didn't want the hassle of babying them or worrying about them anymore.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Feathers or Vanes?

Feathers or vanes? This question is very common when choosing archery arrows... Which do I use? They say that feathers are more forgiving. Maybe this is so, for target shooting or shooting a recurve or straight bow. Plastic vanes on the other hand are my choice of fletching only because I do a lot of foul weather hunting. There are no real good explanations of which to choose from. Many archers have drawn their own conclusions depending on the type of bow they use. For instance, if you are shooting a recurve or straight bow with a flipper rest (or something similar), then feathers would be my choice.