Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why is it my draw is 28.5 and my arrows are 28 w/knock

Post Thanks / Like

Default why is it my draw is 28.5 and my arrows are 28 w/knock

after readin many posts and seeing people with a 28 inch draw are shootin 29+ arrows.well my draw is 28.5 and my arrows are cut down to 27.5...then add the knock im at 28 with room to spare.i have had everyhing tuned by a pro shop,they have ben around for a long time so im sure they have a good idea of what ther doing.on top of that im a hair shorter then 6 feet,with a 28.5 draw.im just pain lost.but my bow still preforms well so i wont mess with it.really im just wondering if anyone else shoots shorter arrows then ther draw???..............your local neiborhood friendly gravedigger

Post Thanks / Like

There's something called "actual DL" with the compound bows - i also am a little confused about it, but as far as i know it's about 1.75 inches shorter then the stated DL. Am i right, guys?
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Your drawlength is measured from the deepest part of the grip + 1.75". So if you buy a bow with 28.5" drawlength the distance between your nocking point and the grip is 26.75". Depending on the position of your arrow Rest you can shoot Arrows as short as 26" (that is with a slight overdraw). It is quite common to shoot arrows that are not as long as your draw is.

It can be quite nice to have an arrow that is light and the same length than your draw if you use huge broadheads that would come into contact with the shelf.

There can be even further reasons to shoot longer arrows than is needed. But that is up to you.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

for target and 3d all my arrows are shorter than my draw with the point ending up just past the rest on most of them. but that don't make it right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosII View Post
    for target and 3d all my arrows are shorter than my draw with the point ending up just past the rest on most of them. but that don't make it right.
    That is personal reference. I use a 32" arrow so it ends in front of the riser. Reason is that i use a stiff arrow with a high point weight. I could shorten the arrow but that would make it stiffer again and this way it is perfect.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

28.5 draw,27 1/8 arrows. I like mine set so when I draw with my broad heads, they're even with the riser. I do this because I hunt in clustered trees and if I'm at full draw and the deer moves, I can move and still get the shot w/o having to worry bout the BH connecting w limbs. I also use short stabilizer/sights that don't protrude past the limbs for the same reason.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 28 inch draw and I shoot 27 inch arrows.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    Your drawlength is measured from the deepest part of the grip + 1.75". So if you buy a bow with 28.5" drawlength the distance between your nocking point and the grip is 26.75". Depending on the position of your arrow Rest you can shoot Arrows as short as 26" (that is with a slight overdraw). It is quite common to shoot arrows that are not as long as your draw is.

It can be quite nice to have an arrow that is light and the same length than your draw if you use huge broadheads that would come into contact with the shelf.

There can be even further reasons to shoot longer arrows than is needed. But that is up to you.
    An excellent post Montalaar.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

29"dl: 28"-28.25" arrows (depending) nock groove to end of shaft.

Post Thanks / Like

30.5 " draw....32" arrows..
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade