Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you float your carbons to find the seam?

SonnyThomas

Default How many of you float your carbons to find the seam?

Seems some are missing the point. Floating a arrow in water is finding the heaviest side of the arrow, thus what is said to the strongest or stiffest part of the arrow.

bf's, spine tester is just that a spine tester. Weak part of the arrow and indicator gives bigger reading. This is not checking for run out.

Now, I posed this to a few knowledgeable archery notables; Stiffest part of the arrow found, which way does it go to the bow, up or down? Answer most given; Doesn't matter so long as it is aligned to the power stroke of the bow string.

Personally, I shoot my arrows. Numbered, any arrow that doesn't impact as the rest is put aside. I'll spin test them if way out they are put aside for casual plinking. I then come back with nock tune to see if it can be made to impact as the others. Here, I index the nock to the next vane and when that's done and no improvement I'll install a new nock and try again. After this and no improvement I'll refletch the arrow. Usually the arrow is corrected.
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 02-20-2011 at 04:59 AM.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is how nuts and bolts explains it. It is a lot better than the way I do.
    Old technique called "floating your arrows" in a tub of water.

If you spin the arrow in the water,
    then general idea is that the heavy side of the arrow tube
    will settle at 6-o'clock.

Presumes that the arrow tube is not truly seamless,
    so the "seam" has a bit of extra thickness,
    and this makes the arrow a little bit stiffer.

So,
    when you rotate your nocks,
    so that a different vane is at 12-o'clock,
    (shoot your arrows with vane #1 at 12-o'clock)
    (shoot your arrows with vane #2 at 12-o'clock)
    (shoot your arrows with vane #3 at 12-o'clock)...

when you rotate your nock,
    you can sometimes get your arrow to group better (closer to the x-ring),
    once you have the correct vane at the 12-o'clock position.

So,
    if you put the "seam" of the carbon arrow
    always at say the 6-o'clock position,
    then....
    getting your arrows to hit the same hole
    with the Hooter Shooter,
    should be a quicker process.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I used to do all that stuff. Float, spine test each shaft, rotate nocks......

When I quit shooting bows that need cable guards, I quit needing to do a lot of other things too.

SonnyThomas

Shooting in spine, nock tuning. I should have mentioned that the only time I found a arrow to respond to nock tuning was with aluminum arrows.

Some one on another archery forum stated that you are to fletch Carbon Express arrows with line with the label. Well, CX doesn't state this anywhere in the paper work I have from them.
    Having quite a few CXLs that have the print material wore clear off I fletch them as the fall into the rest. Accuracy is outstanding.

However, Victory does say to align the fletch to their name as they spine check their arrows. Now, if they'd just turn around the label, but I not nocking a arrow to read....

SonnyThomas

Whoops. Almost forgot. Some arrows don't repond well when floating. Straightness of arrow plays into floating. Maybe not much, but....

Post Thanks / Like

i've read this thread and the one over on AT. being the curious sort, and someone who is always looking for ways to mover from the 5 ring to the 8 ring, i check my victory x ringers. i peeked down the shaft and sure enough you can see a seam running down it and it does line up with their label.

not sure what all this means, but i've made sure mine are now the way n&b said and i'm goin' 8 huntin'. wish me luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    I used to do all that stuff. Float, spine test each shaft, rotate nocks......

When I quit shooting bows that need cable guards, I quit needing to do a lot of other things too.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I know arrows float I think I'll stop using old ones for garden stakes, save them up, and build an ark.

-sorry fellas - sometimes caint help it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Now that I know arrows float I think I'll stop using old ones for garden stakes, save them up, and build an ark.

-sorry fellas - sometimes caint help it...
    groan....

Post Thanks / Like

no they dont, they have more important things to do time is to valueable, to spend wondering where the seam is come on guys shut up and shoot!