Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Targets

Post Thanks / Like

I know the OP asked about foam targets, but I have to say that one of the best practice targets going is the Morrell Outdoor Range bag. We use them at our club and they get hammered and still last about a year for the short range ones (<30 yards). I don't know what the retail is on them, but our cost is about $85. I would buy one for home use, but living only 6 miles from the club why bother. These are good for field/target point use.

For broadheads, which I normally shoot about 20 shots a year, a Morrell Yellow Jacket would be good and last me the rest of my life. Of course since I no longer hunt it would last several lifetimes.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    .......Let me restate the question, what differentiates field point target construction from broadhead target construction? ........
    Field point only targets will many times have a woven nylon printed (& probably replaceable) cover, filled with some type of fiber fill and/or fabric strips.
    Broadheads quickly slice these to pieces and maybe blow on thru, or if they do stop them, can hang up in the material making removal a real mess.

The broadhead targets are typically compressed layered foam or solid foam, maybe multi density foam with imprinted target spots and no cover on shooting surface. The foam resists slicing better and closes up a bit after arrow is pulled.
    You can use these for target/field point arrows too, but it can be much tougher to pull a field point out of some than it is to pull broadhead tipped arrows out.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RLW View Post

The broadhead targets are typically compressed layered foam or solid foam, maybe multi density foam with imprinted target spots and no cover on shooting surface. The foam resists slicing better and closes up a bit after arrow is pulled.
    You can use these for target/field point arrows too, but it can be much tougher to pull a field point out of some than it is to pull broadhead tipped arrows out.
    Thanks. I bought one a while back and it didn't say anything on it. Got it for $29 at Bass Pro and wanted to make sure it was BH safe. It is a layered foam style.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    Thanks. I bought one a while back and it didn't say anything on it. Got it for $29 at Bass Pro and wanted to make sure it was BH safe. It is a layered foam style.
    The layered foam will work for both, but they do wear quick with much BH use. After a while you start getting little slices of foam sticking out of the target and/or laying on the ground.
    Moving your aim point around to different spots on the target and not always shooting at a center dot extends life quite a bit.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

Good plan, I'll do that. Thanks!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RLW View Post
    Just an FYI update: I ended up buying two targets since my last post, both thru Sportsman's Guide.

One was an American Whitetail Hybrid King, with intent to use it mostly for broadheads......which may be a good thing, because the 9-10 shots I put in it with field points took some real effort to pull. Woody's lube I use on 3D targets might help that.
    Still a nice target that will likely travel to camp sites with me.
    http://www.archerytargets.com/hybridKing.aspx
    Side note: I thought the 9" depth might let it tip over on high shots. (3) 20yds shots with 69ft/lbs KE in top center diamond did rock it, but it stayed upright on a level platform.

The other one was a Big Green Stopper bag target for my field/target points. I'm really liking this one so far in the two weeks I've been shooting at it.
    Quickly stops my arrows, and the small diameter 80KE darts a friend shoot out of his Hoyt Carbon Element.
    http://www.biggreentargets.com/field...g-targets.html
    .....and another update
    Here's front and back pics of the Big Green target after 6mths frequent use with two shooters, sometimes 4.......not sure how many shoots, but it's been a lot from 20-40yds, recently quite a bit on out to 60yds, and even one shooting out to 100yds
    Center dot on cover is starting to get a little worn, and interior foam is bulging a bit from the 100's of hits, but not a single point is anywhere close from poking out other side.
    0829010852.jpg

0829010851.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Just picked up a 4'x4' BLOB target. I've been wanting one for 2 yrs. This thing is HEAVY. Probably 185pds +. A bunch of guys got together and they brought 16 of these giants to our bow shoot, along with a bunch of the 24"x24"x8's that are boxed.

And.. it's ugly.

Only shot an arrow in it to see how hard it is to pull. Not too bad, about the same as a normal 3d target. But when I did and went back out again, I didn't even see the hole that I put in it.

Time will tell how it holds up, but everything I've read and the videos posted, seems like it will be years and years worth.

BLOB TARGETS

Post Thanks / Like

RLW, how's the big green target holding up? I currently have a morrel six shooter and am sick and tired of fighting to get my arrows back. Just wondering if you are still happy with the Big Green, as that's one I'm looking at to replace mine. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

here's an Evaluation I done around April 2011 on the Kodiak Big Green target Bag. It was a slight pain at first to pull arrows and I had to use arrow lube. But after sometime they got easier to pull. I will be buying more and it's been stopping arrow and staying intact outdoors.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...g+Green+target

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Simon. Nice review and nice shooting! Thanks Rick.