Thread: Onza 111 or silencer ??

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Onza 111 or silencer ??

Hi folks, new to Martin forum--I am approaching middle age (74) and with that comes all the ailments from mis-spent youth--I will buy either the Silencer or the Onza--what I am looking for is smoothness of draw and a valley that wont jerk on me like my current bow--current bow is a Mathews Reezen 7.0, 60# (limbs), it's nice but not much to hold onto @ full draw, dl is 29.5--anyhow what is the valley like on this 2 bows?, is ther a draw force curve avail.?. I have passed the Martin on the past few bows but do intend to buy now.I like the idea of the glass lims, customer service and bow quality I hear about--any and all comments, suggestions are most welcome, thanks. forgot to ask, is there an advantage to the added 2" of ata as far as forgivess to shot and which would be the most quiet??
    Last edited by Wakmeister; 02-21-2011 at 09:20 AM.

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to choose between them. They both are smooth bows. I would say it would be a matter of choice.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

over the past year i have shot most bows out and i really like the way these nitro, hybrix draw cycle feels. smooth, and a pretty good valley, im not sure about their new cable slide i have not shot it enough just about a dozen times at the bow shop

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

thanks for the reply--dont know why i am so hung up on speed tho--I pull between 56-58# on the reezen, any relaxation @ all jerks me forward--a smooth draw and a nice valley to hold into is what I think I need, just found out by reading here that the power tuff limbs are not glass?? waited to many years I quess--

Post Thanks / Like

While on a business trip to WA recently I had some down time and spent some time in a few archery shops in the Tacoma area. I got to draw back on the Martin Onza 3 and several Hoyts in one shop and got to shoot the Onza 3 in another shop. I was impressed with the draw cycle of the Nitro cams, especially with the less pronounced hump at the end as the draw goes into the very nice, firm wall. I've tuned my 08 Firecat CAT cams and even with them tuned will the Nitro cams seemed smoother going into the valley than my CAT cams. It also made letting down easier.

As to how the Onza shot, it did have some residual "buzz" in the riser after the shot, which my Firecat doesn't have. However, this Onza was a bare bow - no dampeners anywhere, so I believe with a few (like BowJax limbjax and riserjax) and some kind of stabilizer/dampener mounted, this buzz would be gone or nearly so. I didn't have a target to shoot at for accuracy - just a large, blank layered foam target to shoot at - so I can't say how accurate it is or could be. That said though, I can't believe it wouldn't shoot well - I know my Firecat is a very good shooter when I do my part.

Hope that helps provide you some info to help decide what to do.
    2008 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 66# DW), home-made TRG, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer/dampener, custom upper STS, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I just recently purchased a Silencer bow from one of those shops in Tacoma and the guy who runs the shop bought the Onza 3 for himself. I've talked to him at length and he loves his Onza. I am still getting used to my Silencer, but loving the smooth draw and speed. I have had a little buzzing in my bow and it is usually due to a screw in the mods coming loose. I've also had a few other screws working themselves loose. That has always taken care of the buzzing noise. My bow has no noise reduction items on it that didn't come from the factory other than a stabilizer. I am partial to the Silencer, but think either of these bows would be a good place to go.
    -2011 Martin Silencer 63# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .029 sight, Alpine Whisperflite drop away rest, Alpine 5 arrow quiver, G5 1/4" Meta Peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Warrior and Expedition Hunter (385gr), G5 Montec
    -2011 Martin Silencer, 73# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .019 sight, QAD Ultra Rest Pro LD, Tight Spot 5 arrow quiver, 1/4" G5 Meta peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Expedition Hunter 7595 camo (441gr), G5 Montec BH.