Thread: Newb in need of assistance...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newb in need of assistance...

I am a Walla Walla native and would like to purchase one of my home town bows. The problem that I have is I am now stationed in New Orleans where Martin bows and their dealers are few and far between. Worse than that is that the dealers over here have to be reminded that they are listed as a Martin dealer. All of that being said it is hard for me to go check out the different bows that Martin has to offer and am having a hard time figuring out which bow would be right for me.

I am looking for a bow for hunting and some general target shooting. The game I hunt ranges from deer to wild boar to elk (when I travel back home). I am 6 ft tall 185 lb. I am not quite sure about the draw length or how to figure it out but from finger tip to finger tip I am 73 1/2 inches.

If anyone has any tips to help me narrow down the choices i would really appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

You will get a lot of good advice here. Check on my post called "draw length consideration" for some info others gave me. Another place where I find a lot of good info is here: http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm

Here are a couple ways

Wing Span (WS) / 2.5 = Draw Length (DL)
    WS-15/2 = DL
    Last edited by MLN1963; 02-22-2011 at 09:23 AM.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Remember that the draw length on all the Martins can be adjusted to suit you without the need of a press. Either by a multi-position rotating module or by changing out the mods.
    If you decide on one of the single cam models be sure the dealer gives you all the modules when you get the bow, they are part of the deal.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be best if you could find that dealer who did stock some Martins, but aren't there a lot of Dick , or Gander Mountain, Bass pro, stores around New Orleans ? Get your hands on some and shoot 'em, but so far this year the bow making the news around here seems to be the Silencer. There is an 09 Bengal for sale here on this forum, and Bengals have been real popular for a good reason.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 02-25-2011 at 07:36 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the tips and info. The silencer looks pretty good. Aside from the FPS how does the Ridge Hunter stack up to it? Has anyone shot them side by side. Academy Sports is the only place that I have found who has Martins in stock but they are limited to the Cheetah Saber and Bengal models from the 09 catalog.