Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stabilizing a crack

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stabilizing a crack

While preparing for my Cougar lll Elite cam change, I found that I've got a crack at the bottom of the cam fork, about 5/8" long, on the front side ( target side ) of my 5H 08 carbon limb. I say 08 because it was a bottom limb and has the sticker on it, ser# 08. Since its going to be a nitrous shoot thru bow, Im wondering if I can stabilize the crack/splinter by gently sperading it open and letting an epoxy ooze into it and then clamping it togather again. I can see movement with a magnifing glass while twisting the forks, but those forks won't be twisting any longer. Tell me what you think. What type of epoxy or super glue would work best.

Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 02-22-2011 at 10:56 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely would get those limbs replaced.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    While preparing for my Cougar lll Elite cam change, I found that I've got a crack at the bottom of the cam fork, about 5/8" long, on the front side ( target side ) of my 5H 08 carbon limb. I say 08 because it was a bottom limb and has the sticker on it, ser# 08. Since its going to be a nitrous shoot thru bow, Im wondering if I can stabilize the crack/splinter by gently sperading it open and letting an epoxy ooze into it and then clamping it togather again. I can see movement with a magnifing glass while twisting the forks, but those forks won't be twisting any longer. Tell me what you think. What type of epoxy or super glue would work best.

BTW the target side is the back of the bow...more for enlightenment and not criticism.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably be a much better idea to get them replaced.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

you got a good picture of it and the responces we knew already.

it was a used bow when he got it. any other ides on a fix, it is only a small crack..Bow will be set up X system, no torque on limbs.. We would like to swap it out for a new one, but no warrenty on a used bow..

So lets all think out side the box a minute.. Any one Ever try to fix something like this?
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

Any one Ever try to fix something like this?
    Never tried, but thought about it and never heard of any attempts. No torque is definitely a plus, so the only way to find out is to give it a go using the strongest epoxy available. You will need to apply heat and that needs to be done carefully so as to not weaken existing lamination joints. Also, after glueing the crack, some glass matting could possibly be used to strengthen the area.

Have you priced a new set of limbs, I don't think they would be much over $150.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

What type of epoxy or super glue would work best.
    You're scaring me!!
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

It more splinter than crack, doen't carry through the limb, just that surface. I just knew someone would catch me with which is the front of a bow! Can't slip nuthin past you guys.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

It more splinter than crack, doen't carry through the limb, just that surface.
    I feel slightly better now.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

doen't carry through the limb, just that surface.
    It's likely one lamination that's cracked.