Thread: Vane length effect on arrow flight?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vane length effect on arrow flight?

I'm not too good at the science of archery so I thought I'd pose the question to those who understand such things.
    Assuming an foc of 10% with a point weight of 75 grains in an arrow weighing 275 grains, how will a Bohning X vane shield cut 1.5 inches affect the flight of the arrow compared to the same vane 2.25 inches.

I hope that's clear and I hope someone can provide some insight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosII View Post
    I'm not too good at the science of archery so I thought I'd pose the question to those who understand such things.
    Assuming an foc of 10% with a point weight of 75 grains in an arrow weighing 275 grains, how will a Bohning X vane shield cut 1.5 inches affect the flight of the arrow compared to the same vane 2.25 inches.

I hope that's clear and I hope someone can provide some insight.
    Sound like a P.I.A. math problem I would have had 30yrs ago.......

By switching vanes all the other variables change. The 1.5 vane is claimed to be 3.0grs, the 2.25 vane says 5.5 grs.
    You've just added 7.5grs to the rear of the arrow, effectively lowering your 10% FOC. To what? I don't know without the arrow/length, but maybe lost 1% or more, and the extra weight has also dropped initial arrow speed maybe 2-3 fps.
    But even if you forget all that and assume every else stayed equal, going from 1.5 vane to the 2.25 vane will create more drag. Larger vane may stabilize the arrow better but will slow it faster and drop faster, and that is affected more or less by how much, if any, offset the vanes have to..........bottomline, getting progressively worse the farther it goes, you maybe ended up loosing 5-6fps and arrow hit 2-3" lower way out at 60yds

Other than the lower than I personally like FOC, really not that much practical difference
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

As I read it, he's going the other way From 2.5's to 1.5's, so he's loosing 7.5 off the back end and increased his foc % ( sorry Sonny ! ) by some small amount.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, then if going from a 2.25" to 1.5" ....would be the bass ackwards version of what I typed.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I was inclined toward going with the longer, heavier vane. Since my shooting is mostly 3D out to 40 yards max, I'm really looking for more down-range stability. I guess I was trying to determine if the drop in FOC would off-set the increased stability.

Does that make any sense?

Thanks for the responses.

Post Thanks / Like

what arrow, and length?

Larger vane should stabilize better, but for 3D with target/field points out to 40yds, I doubt it makes much difference. Might try a couple both ways if you can and go with whichever shoots best groups for you.

SonnyThomas

Default Vane length effect on arrow flight?

I thought I posted this once or is within some link I posted. Of course FOC and personal perference doesn't always match up.

Here's a link. Search down, find auto calc. you desire. http://www.backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/tools.php

Common F.O.C.s for each style of archery.
    FITA 11-16%
    3-D Archery 6-12%
    Field Archery 10-15%
    Hunting 10-15%