Thread: Arrow performance variables

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arrow performance variables

Theme of the day seems to be the variables that affect arrow performance. So I pose this question:
    I have two different arrows cut exact length and weight same nock, shaft,fletchings(2" blazers) and field point.
    One arrow has the fletchings 7/8" from the nock groove and the other 1 1/4" from the nock groove.
    Balance point is only a 1/16" or so different putting FOC very close to identical at 11%

What does having the fletchings closer or farther away from the end of the arrow do to performance and flight?

Things that make you go hmmmmm.
    2010 Alien X
    29"/70#
    353gr GT Velocity XT 400 @ 320fps
    370gr GT Velocity Hunter 300 @ 315fps
    Tru-Fire Hurricane Release
    NAP Apache Rest
    Black Gold AMP 3 pin sight
    Limbsaver stabilizer
    G5 Montec

SonnyThomas

Default Arrow performance variables

For your stats, virtually no effect.

I perfer to have vanes forward much like factory arrows, 1 to 1 1/8" from end of shaft. I don't like the vane to touch my face.

Too far forward and upsetting the balance of shaft, and/or loss of guidance or a longer time frame for correction can occur. But this would probably start around more than 2" from the end of the shaft.
    Still, staggered vanes are used and the the farthest forward vane would likely be 1/2" in front of the one farthest back. People say they guide better, more quieter and border on being magical. This has never been proven or factories probably would have staggered vanes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    For your stats, virtually no effect.

I perfer to have vanes forward much like factory arrows, 1 to 1 1/8" from end of shaft. I don't like the vane to touch my face.

Too far forward and upsetting the balance of shaft, and/or loss of guidance or a longer time frame for correction can occur. But this would probably start around more than 2" from the end of the shaft.
    Still, staggered vanes are used and the the farthest forward vane would likely be 1/2" in front of the one farthest back. People say they guide better, more quieter and border on being magical. This has never been proven or factories probably would have staggered vanes.
    And they look weird!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I fletch mine so that when I am at full draw I hold the 'left' vane in the corner of my lip.
    It's my anchor point.
    And no it dont hurt when it leaves...