Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bow

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Bow

My Nemsis arrived today. I was out ordering new glasses so I can see what I'm shooting at and when I got home there it was, right between the door and the storm door.

Now this might not sound too interesting to some, but I ordered this bow about two weeks ago. My usual wait the last few years has averaged 2 months and last year's Alien Z was longer at 6 1/2 months. I was quite surprised to say the least. Even some other things I ordered were also in the box.

I've gone over the bow with a fine toothed comb and can't find any defects, save one. The top cam is a Hybrix 1.5 and the bottom one is a Nitro 1.5. Makes me wonder. The bow draws and feels OK. Looks like it's time for a call to find out if these two cams are really the same.

One other thing of note. The limb deflection is 175 which leads me to believe it is sporting Barnesdale limbs. Another question for Joel.

As someone else said earlier on here there is also a tag attached to the bow that shows it was checked by two people. Not that I'm going to quibble but the riser is not black. It's the same carbon fiber dip that I had on my Alien Z from last year. And the limbs are "Next" camo instead of the "Bonz" I ordered, but the fact that they are barnesdales is something I'll have reason to overlook the camo.

Draw length is adjuted very close to what I ordered (just drew it with fingers). I ordered a 50#er and it peaks at 53# so that's in order. There is the slightest bit of cam lean in the static position; maybe 1/4" from the cam to the middle of the string.

It has a straight cable rod and slide, which I'm already thinking of replacing with the TRG/SOS just to compare.

All in all, it appears that Martin is doing a better job of checking bows before they leave home office. It's nice having new toys.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

just an fyi...there is no powercoated risers this year for Martin or Rytera except for the red and the last I heard they were not doing any yet.

The black as it states on the website and the catalog will actually be the black carbon-fiber film dip that they use on the limbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Barry.!!!!
    Nothing like the aroma of a brand new bow.

Post Thanks / Like

thats weired two different cams, i like the hybrix cam let us know what you find out

Post Thanks / Like

I believe they are the same...just cosmetics...as as the Tranz single cam and Acu-Track cam....all the same...as is the M-Pro2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcriner View Post
    just an fyi...there is no powercoated risers this year for Martin or Rytera except for the red and the last I heard they were not doing any yet.

The black as it states on the website and the catalog will actually be the black carbon-fiber film dip that they use on the limbs.

Hmm. I asked someone at Martin and they told me that there will be no carbon fiber for 2011 bows...
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered black and that is what I got...carbon...

Post Thanks / Like

We need pics Barry, you can't announce the arrival of a new bow and not post pics, the man card can be revoked for that.

The 1.5 Hybrix and Nitro are the same cam, just different markings. The 2.0 Hybrix and Nitro are very close to the same, but there are enough differences between the 2.0's that I wouldn't mix them on the same bow.

Congrats on the new bow.........

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new rig
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    All in all, it appears that Martin is doing a better job of checking bows before they leave home office.
    I don't know you or your sense of humor so I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. If it isn't then I don't understand your statement of quality control improving. You pointed out 3 obvious oversights on Martin's part yet you state they are improving? Just how bad were they and what improvements were made?

1. Two differents cams. Even if they are technically the same they should never have been put on the same bow. If they are the same then a bill of goods has been sold to all those getting new bows with Nitro cams thinking they were getting an improvement over the old ones.

2. Carbon fiber look riser instead of the black one you ordered. To me black and carbon fiber are worlds apart in looks and not the same thing. One has pattern and one does not.

3. Next Camo limbs instead of the Bonz limbs you ordered. Even a colorblind bow assembler could easily tell the two apart by pattern. That you may have gotten desireable Barnsdale limbs doesn't negate the fact that this wasn't the camo pattern ordered.

I used to work quality/standardization/evaluation and I'm pretty shocked to see this many mistakes on one bow. There are not one but two guys who signed off on that QC checklist whose heads should roll. This is not small screw up, neither one did their job and you have the proof. This does not reflect favorably on Martin and their quality control program.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 02-25-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Firecat 400