Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Bow

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing to sort out. It'll be at least a few hours before I have it set up. There's a spot shoot at my club tomorrow evening so I'll show up early and see how it feels. Then I'll post pics and such.

I'm not worried about the color (dip) or anything. And the cams? Only reason I want to call Joel is to hear it from the horses mouth that the 1.5 Hybrix and Nitro are the same. I hate to just guess and pass on erroneous information.

So for this eveing I'll be digging out the tape and bow press and getting the specs right on. and setting this thing up.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new bow Barry. Keep us updated on the performance!
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on the new bow, Barry! I agree....if it has Barnsdale limbs on it, I would keep quiet and carry on. I'm on my second set of limbs on my Warthog.....wish I could get Barnsdales for it (or could afford them). Hope that the Spot Shoot goes well for you......

Post Thanks / Like

Just by the way, Barry:

Congratulations to your new bow...!
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

OK, had some time to drop into the archery shop and check out my setup. It might be hard to believe, but all these decades of experience must be paying off. First shot through paper was a bullet hole. 2nd and 3rd shots were a bullet hole. At 10 yards a bare shaft planes down and to the right, but has the same poi as fletched arrows. I'll be able to tell when I get it outside, but it looks like the arrow may be coming off the rest just a touch nock high and to the left--- a desirable result if you target shooters know what I mean.

At 27" draw and 48#, shooting 5 gr/lb it chronos at 272 fps. 10 shots and only one said 273 fps. Pretty darn consistent if you ask me. Not fast, but it does hold and aim very well considering how I shoot any more.

There is one thing that bothers me but is consistent as compared to my Alien Z. The bow peaks at 58# on my scale and five turns off the limbs only drops the bow to 48#. My Z is the same way so I'm going to assume that one turn of the limbs only reduces the weight by 2#. LOL, sometimes the math is simple. Five turns off and the brace height only reduced by 1/16" as did the a2a. Must have something to do with these parallel limbs. In other words, I'm still learning.

I did get a couple pics of the thing thrown together with parts I have on hand. Don't be making any nasty comments about the rusty cap screw on the rest. That rest has been around longer than some of you guys. Stood the test of time and still works reliably. Besides, rusty bolts don't move.

And please don't call it SWEEEEEET. I hate that word. Candy is sweet. My grandkids are sweet. This is just a bow. And as always I'm open for questions.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Barry,
    Its a nice rig, not for me on the looks but as my father always says "aesthetics has absolutely nothing to do with function". I would like to know what you think of the "saddleback" grip as compared to your Z.
    2010 Alien X
    29"/70#
    353gr GT Velocity XT 400 @ 320fps
    370gr GT Velocity Hunter 300 @ 315fps
    Tru-Fire Hurricane Release
    NAP Apache Rest
    Black Gold AMP 3 pin sight
    Limbsaver stabilizer
    G5 Montec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    OK, had some time to drop into the archery shop and check out my setup. It might be hard to believe, but all these decades of experience must be paying off. First shot through paper was a bullet hole. 2nd and 3rd shots were a bullet hole. At 10 yards a bare shaft planes down and to the right, but has the same poi as fletched arrows. I'll be able to tell when I get it outside, but it looks like the arrow may be coming off the rest just a touch nock high and to the left--- a desirable result if you target shooters know what I mean.

At 27" draw and 48#, shooting 5 gr/lb it chronos at 272 fps. 10 shots and only one said 273 fps. Pretty darn consistent if you ask me. Not fast, but it does hold and aim very well considering how I shoot any more.

There is one thing that bothers me but is consistent as compared to my Alien Z. The bow peaks at 58# on my scale and five turns off the limbs only drops the bow to 48#. My Z is the same way so I'm going to assume that one turn of the limbs only reduces the weight by 2#. LOL, sometimes the math is simple. Five turns off and the brace height only reduced by 1/16" as did the a2a. Must have something to do with these parallel limbs. In other words, I'm still learning.

I did get a couple pics of the thing thrown together with parts I have on hand. Don't be making any nasty comments about the rusty cap screw on the rest. That rest has been around longer than some of you guys. Stood the test of time and still works reliably. Besides, rusty bolts don't move.

And please don't call it SWEEEEEET. I hate that word. Candy is sweet. My grandkids are sweet. This is just a bow. And as always I'm open for questions.
    Swell looking bow Barry. LOL
    Ah, some of us have been around a long time.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

SWEEEE .Ah just kidding,I like the looks of the carbon and camo.
    Last edited by Simple Life; 02-25-2011 at 04:46 PM.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    All in all, it appears that Martin is doing a better job of checking bows before they leave home office.
    I don't know you or your sense of humor so I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. If it isn't then I don't understand your statement of quality control improving. You pointed out 3 obvious oversights on Martin's part yet you state they are improving? Just how bad were they and what improvements were made?

1. Two differents cams. Even if they are technically the same they should never have been put on the same bow. If they are the same then a bill of goods has been sold to all those getting new bows with Nitro cams thinking they were getting an improvement over the old ones.

2. Carbon fiber look riser instead of the black one you ordered. To me black and carbon fiber are worlds apart in looks and not the same thing. One has pattern and one does not.

3. Next Camo limbs instead of the Bonz limbs you ordered. Even a colorblind bow assembler could easily tell the two apart by pattern. That you may have gotten desireable Barnsdale limbs doesn't negate the fact that this wasn't the camo pattern ordered.

I used to work quality/standardization/evaluation and I'm pretty shocked to see this many mistakes on one bow. There are not one but two guys who signed off on that QC checklist whose heads should roll. This is not small screw up, neither one did their job and you have the proof. This does not reflect favorably on Martin and their quality control program.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 02-25-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I don't know you or your sense of humor so I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. If it isn't then I don't understand your statement of quality control improving. You pointed out 3 obvious oversights on Martin's part yet you state they are improving? Just how bad were they and what improvements were made?

1. Two differents cams. Even if they are technically the same they should never have been put on the same bow. If they are the same then a bill of goods has been sold to all those getting new bows with Nitro cams thinking they were getting an improvement over the old ones.

2. Carbon fiber look riser instead of the black one you ordered. To me black and carbon fiber are worlds apart in looks and not the same thing. One has pattern and one does not.

3. Next Camo limbs instead of the Bonz limbs you ordered. Even a colorblind bow assembler could easily tell the two apart by pattern. That you may have gotten desireable Barnsdale limbs doesn't negate the fact that this wasn't the camo pattern ordered.

I used to work quality/standardization/evaluation and I'm pretty shocked to see this many mistakes on one bow. There are not one but two guys who signed off on that QC checklist whose heads should roll. This is not small screw up, neither one did their job and you have the proof. This does not reflect favorably on Martin and their quality control program.
    X2, nice bow though.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel