Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: upgrading firecat pro-x

Post Thanks / Like

Default upgrading firecat pro-x

Hey all; brand new to here, never knew this site was around and wouldn't have found it had this site not spilled over from a tizzy over on AT. Anyway I have a 2008 firecat which I bought late last year to finish up hunting season. I have seen where a few people have upgraded their bows with newer limbs and cams. From what I could tell it did nothing to improve the speed of the bow so I am wondering why people are, have, done this. Where are they getting the new parts to do this with and what is the aprox cost to upgrade the bow? Is it worth doing and what would the benifits be to doing this? Any takers with answers? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

There are few of us here that had limb problems. That's why the upgrade. Martin pretty much quit making the same limbs and changed the bow somewhat so the option was that they gave us new (narrower) 2010 limbs, roto-cups, axles, cams, and string/cables. Essentially replaced everything but the riser. That's how they take care of their customers.

If you're not having a problem then there's no reason to upgrade. The speed and shootablity of the bow is no different. I can tell you for certain that the cost of the new parts exceeds the cost of a brand new bow.

If it's shooting fine then just enjoy it. FireCat is a nice bow.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum cycle. I think Barry covered it all pretty well. A few bows were having limb failures, and Martin upgraded all of them to the new 2010 or 2011 parts. The '08 Firecat you have should be a good one. I think most of the problems were with '09s. I wouldn't upgrade unless I ran into problems.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

I had one limb crack on my 08 Firecat close to 2 years ago now. Martin replaced both limbs with new 2009 limbs and to this time they've been holding up well - no issues with the bow in any regard since then. As best I know the 2010 limbs, cams and Roto-cup weren't available at the time. I don't know if Martin would have opted to replaced everything like Barry's Firecat at the time he had his repaired, but at this time I'd say it doesn't really matter since it's holding together and shooting well with what it has.

As for upgrading, I'm awaiting the arrival of a recently ordered TRG/SOS system and the new VEM riser dampeners. One poster, dan476 I believe, installed the TRG/SOS on his 08 Moab and reported success in doing so. The difference between his Moab and my Firecat is in the cams - Moab has M-Pro single cam and Firecat has hybrid CAT cams. So, based on his experience and a few others I've read do this I decided to try it on my bow. I had hoped to get it by bow but it's still apparently "in the mail". I'll be reporting my findings here and AT after I've had some time to work with the TRG/SOS.

Anyway, congrats on your choice of bows. I'm betting you have a fine shooter.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 66# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made torque reducing cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyhud View Post
    I had one limb crack on my 08 Firecat close to 2 years ago now. Martin replaced both limbs with new 2009 limbs and to this time they've been holding up well - no issues with the bow in any regard since then. As best I know the 2010 limbs, cams and Roto-cup weren't available at the time. I don't know if Martin would have opted to replaced everything like Barry's Firecat at the time he had his repaired, but at this time I'd say it doesn't really matter since it's holding together and shooting well with what it has.

As for upgrading, I'm awaiting the arrival of a recently ordered TRG/SOS system and the new VEM riser dampeners. One poster, dan476 I believe, installed the TRG/SOS on his 08 Moab and reported success in doing so. The difference between his Moab and my Firecat is in the cams - Moab has M-Pro single cam and Firecat has hybrid CAT cams. So, based on his experience and a few others I've read do this I decided to try it on my bow. I had hoped to get it by bow but it's still apparently "in the mail". I'll be reporting my findings here and AT after I've had some time to work with the TRG/SOS.

Anyway, congrats on your choice of bows. I'm betting you have a fine shooter.
    Not sure because you had yours updated but - another difference may be that the bows with the C.A.T cams had the reinforced limb tips.
    On a good note - I have an '09 Firecat with over 12,000 shots on it now and have had no issues at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a visual difference between the limbs my Firecat has and those on a Moab (i.e., reinforced limb tips vs not). Since you mentioned that I now recall having read about this but never piqued my interest enough at the time to investigate what is different, visually or otherwise. Can you enlighten me and others on this? Thanks.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 66# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made torque reducing cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyhud View Post
    Is there a visual difference between the limbs my Firecat has and those on a Moab (i.e., reinforced limb tips vs not). Since you mentioned that I now recall having read about this but never piqued my interest enough at the time to investigate what is different, visually or otherwise. Can you enlighten me and others on this? Thanks.
    The main difference that you will see is reinforcing pins through the limb tips of the bows with Cat/Nitro cams. Other than that you can't visually tell a difference.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 08 with the updated limbs to the issues. Been shooting it for atleast a 100 shoots every other day till around Christmas time. No problems on mine . Do like it shoots better then I can on most days.
    '08 Firecat a righty
    '06 Slayer a lefty
    "97 High Country Protec

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Barry. Once again I learned a little something I didn't know before.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

looks like another one for Mr. Fisher. Go get em, Boss!