Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: String travel is not just up and down

Post Thanks / Like

Default String travel is not just up and down

In a perfect would I would like to see my nock travel the full distance of the power stroke inside a tube not much bigger than the nock and never touch the tube.

With that said, I challenge this team on this forum to discuss and find a way to measure left to right string travel.

Whether you know if or not must of our Martin bows have a lot of left and right string travel. In the neighbor hood of 3/4". This is part of the reason why at the static position the sight pins are generally a fair amount left of the arrow shaft. (Right handed speaking).

The TRG has helped this problem a lot. How much??? I know the TRG tunes a ton easier. I want to measure it.

I have some ideas but really hard to explain.

OK archery Engineers let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I think the I've X ed lateral string/nock movement out, when I started shooting thru.
    How're you going to measure lateral string movement? Should be able to use a draw board, instead of measuring from bow to string, measure string to board at every inch of power stroke, Something alone those lines?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the bow in a shooting machine, ruler positioned horizontally, and camera lined up behind it all.
    Shoot the arrow and watch the video to see how far it moves left to right...

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Spiker. I have a shooting machine and watching the string movement would be simple. The only thing is the video cam would have to be able to show super slow motion.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    I was thinking the bow in a shooting machine, ruler positioned horizontally, and camera lined up behind it all.
    Shoot the arrow and watch the video to see how far it moves left to right...
    I think this will be the most logical way to measure horizontal nock travel along with a high speed camera.

You also have to take into consideration the style of release being used, a double jaw caliper style release will allow for a more straight forward consistant release than will a single jaw or hook style release.

Advantage Custom Strings

SonnyThomas

Quote Originally Posted by gstudt View Post
    In a perfect would I would like to see my nock travel the full distance of the power stroke inside a tube not much bigger than the nock and never touch the tube.

I would say, Good Luck. And then question, Why? Virtually all bows shoot better than the owner can.

With that said, I challenge this team on this forum to discuss and find a way to measure left to right string travel.

This has been done by virtually every bow manufacturer of today. Hoyt and Mathews had a contest going over nock travel. This with Mathews straight nock travel and the then new Hoyt Cam & 1/2. Neither won out as both were top dogs of the archery world and still are.

Whether you know if or not must of our Martin bows have a lot of left and right string travel. In the neighbor hood of 3/4". This is part of the reason why at the static position the sight pins are generally a fair amount left of the arrow shaft. (Right handed speaking).

I doubt the 3/4" side to side travel of the bow string. The sight pins being left of the string is something that has existed for all companies. For one, the bow string is not dead center of the riser or the limbs for that matter and of single cams only the top wheel has the string centered between the limbs. And then add in the natural torque all people exert on their bow.

The TRG has helped this problem a lot. How much??? I know the TRG tunes a ton easier. I want to measure it.

You would have to explain this. Having dealt with 3 TRG systems I didn't find a thing easier about tuning on any scale.

I have some ideas but really hard to explain.

OK archery Engineers let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Gary
    Another pet peeve of mine. Going to extremes over nothing. Again, bows can just plain shoot better than the owner. How can there be that much of problem when those Vegas boys and girls shoot perfect and near perfect scores? John Wheeler, Martin Staff shooter, nailed down a 900 and 72 smaller than a nickle X rings to set a new record for Bowhunter Freestyle. Bowhunter; no long stab, no sight magnification.

I go to one extreme. I French tune when Outdoor target and Field is the game.

I'll go to my grave with this; Bow tuning is Secondary.

Post Thanks / Like

So it's not the arrow but the indian?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny,

While I agree with you it would be nice to be able to visually see just how much lateral travel the string goes through on different model bows (slide/rod, roller guard, etc) and how much difference between longer ata bows vs. short ones, and how it correlates to cam lean.

On the other side of the coin the lateral travel couldn't be any worse than that of a finger shooter and the paradox involved. And frankly I know and have seen a few finger shooters that can shoot 590 or more on a Vegas face.

So this should just answer elkslayer4x5's question. Yeah, it's the indian.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

SonnyThomas

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Sonny, While I agree with you it would be nice to be able to visually see just how much lateral travel the string goes through on different model bows (slide/rod, roller guard, etc) and how much difference between longer ata bows vs. short ones, and how it correlates to cam lean.
    On the other side of the coin the lateral travel couldn't be any worse than that of a finger shooter and the paradox involved. And frankly I know and have seen a few finger shooters that can shoot 590 or more on a Vegas face.
    So this should just answer elkslayer4x5's question. Yeah, it's the indian.
    First, I would think with 3/4" lateral or horizontal nock/string movement we would have bows derailing to no end. As of the present most all derailing is shooter induced. Here, the shooter torques the bow either in drawing or letting down.

Lateral or horizontal string travel has a creature waiting to show if you really do have that movement. It's called the arrow rest. Think; Shoot through, prong style arrow rests. Horizontal center shot off. Eventually one prong or the other will show wear. No wear or very little wear would say the arrow is being driven fairly straight with the power stroke of the string. I would think if there were a fair amount of lateral or horizontal nock/string movement it would give a different horizontal launch to the arrow. But we that have shot our bows from max to minimum draw weight don't change our horizontal sight setting, only our vertical setting.

Now, for that power stroke of the string, from bow at rest to bow fully drawn. 2 thought; 1) One could possibly clamp a indicator on the bow and set it to the undrawn arrow (near the arrow rest). Draw the bow, twist to make sure torque goes to neutral and check indicator reading. 2) OR bow tested to be sure it is in fine tune. Install laser, shim to hit center of arrow at field point and center of string and draw bow. Will the laser stay on the string?

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Hutch~n~Son Archery; 02-26-2011 at 05:22 PM.
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com