Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: String travel is not just up and down

SonnyThomas

Default String travel is not just up and down

Would take all day for those to load up with the dial up I have. Give details please.

Here's the thing about bows. They are mechanical, machines. Mechanically sound they repeat shot after shot. Hence, lateral/horizontal travel is consistent. Consistent meaning correct shot to shot, no error. Conclusion; No ill effect on accuracy.

Now, the compound bow has been around a few years. Every conceivable guide system for the cables has been tried, plus corkscrew cams that perform what the TRG system does. This was by Browning. Yes, draw bow and cams would corkscrew the cables off to the side. So, no guide rod, shoot through cables, double guide rod with no slides (cables slid back and forth on the rod), straight guide rods that minimized offset of cables (to the point fletching clearance became a issue), adjustable offset guide rods, plain guide rod slides, roller guide rod slides, roller guides, spring steel guide rods, stainless steel guide rods, carbon guide rods. and now the TRG system.

All the above applied to any one bow of the times have all done something, shot well and set records. Some records still standing.

Lateral/horizontal nock/string travel. If this was a problem I would think R&D would have eliminated this years ago. The compound bow and been up and running effectively for some 35 years.

Today, manufacturers are basically doing one thing, trying to catch your attention. Bows are basically perfect within themselves. Find one of the original articles of the Hooter Shooter; "Every bow we put through it shot groups of 2" or less at 60 yards." Another article of the Hooter Shooter; "/// accuracy wise, even weaker than desired spined arrows grouped outstandingly."

Bottom line; We are the problem.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sonny, There is so many vid's out there that show both up and down and left and right movement. Alpine seemed to me to be the worst 3/4' might be an understatement. As far as effect on the shot, none of what I could see. But as far as an effect on noise I imagine it would be great. Some of the high speed shots showed bows worked very smooth and some very unpredictable.
    Long and short of it. The smoother the draw cycle the better the bow in launch.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

The only accurate way to measure lateral nock travel, is by measuring it in degrees, and converting it to inches.

By mounting a laser to the riser, and drawing the bow back with a precision machine (draw board, or hooter shooter), that allows the riser to pivot freely, you can measure the amount of shift in degrees. as the bow is drawn.

lateral nock travel does matter. It is a big problem, and it limits how bows can be designed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    The only accurate way to measure lateral nock travel, is by measuring it in degrees, and converting it to inches.

By mounting a laser to the riser, and drawing the bow back with a precision machine (draw board, or hooter shooter), that allows the riser to pivot freely, you can measure the amount of shift in degrees. as the bow is drawn.

lateral nock travel does matter. It is a big problem, and it limits how bows can be designed.
    So if I put my bow in my shooting machine. and mount a laser to my riser and point it directly at the string. Then draw it back. This will tell me if the string has lateral movement right.

Hutch

SonnyThomas

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    So if I put my bow in my shooting machine. and mount a laser to my riser and point it directly at the string. Then draw it back. This will tell me if the string has lateral movement right.
    Hutch
    Basically, yes, as long as the riser is allowed to pivot as copterdoc noted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Basically, yes, as long as the riser is allowed to pivot as copterdoc noted.
    Not a problem with my machine. I might have to try it and see.

Hutch

SonnyThomas

Agree greatly on the 2 paragraphs above, but 50/50 on the 3rd. First, I am no whiz bang when it comes to bows of any kind, but being a machinist for the better part of 35 years I've learned "checks and balances - stress in relationship to." Now, of the 3rd the problem isn't big as in bad or people couldn't shoot to save their lives. And lateral/horizontal nock/string travel doesn't just come from the guide rod. Bow string off center to limbs and riser is related to cam design.

So we can discuss this to death and beyond and we will still have to shoot our bows as we have been.

Good, bad or indifferent, I've made up mind I want a "clean" riser and don't want the TRG system if the rod hole for it has to be open to depth of the hole. My opinion, the hole is ugly and I can see edges of the slot chipping or busting out. And this TRG system was part of the origin of this thread.

I'll even go one step farther by saying I won't buy a bow with a built in quick disconnect. It's no different than the hole of TRG rod. I see the paint rubbing off now and the aluminum will start wearing next either from rubbing or some one banging things around. Screw up the opening and there is no way to fix it other than welding. Who wants their bow welded or want one that has been welded? Right along with this, I don't seen anything quick about it. Quick is 3/4 turn or like mine, snap on, snap off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post

Hutch
    Don't point the laser at the string.

Aim it at the wall in front of the arrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Agree greatly on the 2 paragraphs above, but 50/50 on the 3rd. First, I am no whiz bang when it comes to bows of any kind, but being a machinist for the better part of 35 years I've learned "checks and balances - stress in relationship to." Now, of the 3rd the problem isn't big as in bad or people couldn't shoot to save their lives.
    It's not about accuracy.

It's about accuracy potential with shorter bows, higher let-off, and bigger broadheads.

It's about making a bow that is impossible with lateral nock travel. Take for instance, the Liberty I bow. It has zero nock travel, because it has laterally balanced cams, and shoot-through cables, as well as a shoot-through riser.

It would not even be shootable, if it had an offset cable guard.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't point the laser at the string.

Aim it at the wall in front of the arrow.
    copterdoc Explain!

Hutch