Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: String travel is not just up and down

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    copterdoc Explain!

Hutch
    Here is a video showing 3rd axis shift. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXI29xQtqwc

Start at 49 sec in.

3rd axis shift, is lateral nock travel. You are pulling the bow by the string. When the string moves to the side, the riser twists and follows the string.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot about that vid thanks copterdoc. When I get a chance I will have try it.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

SonnyThomas

Default String travel is not just up and down

I'll go shoot my bow and have fun.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strong opinions

Since I don't have time to type it all out.

Please visit www.tilttamer.com

I agree with all his findings at tilt tamer. However, he doesn't and will not tell how to measure it.

I want to measure it.

Another note, yes you can shoot 300 60xs on a 5 spot or 300 30 x's on a Vegas at 20 yards with about anything. So does it matter?? YES it does when you shoot further distance and with broadheads it matters or with less than perfect arrow spine/setup. You get the string traveling straight in all directions you can shoot about anything at any distance and group really well even when you screw up.

Can I shoot better than a poorly shooting bow. Yes, I can.

Keep up the good work. I like the thinking and opinions both ways.

SonnyThomas

"Another note, yes you can shoot 300 60xs on a 5 spot or 300 30 x's on a Vegas at 20 yards with about anything. So does it (lateral/horizontal ?) matter?? YES it does when you shoot further distance and with broadheads it matters or with less than perfect arrow spine/setup. You get the string traveling straight in all directions you can shoot about anything at any distance and group really well even when you screw up."

Excuse me. What further distance or distances are you talking about?

First, average distance for taking a whitetail deers remains at 19 yards.

Second, Outdoor Target and Field has some pretty good distances, right out to 80 yards. I have seen 890s (correction) shot in Outdoor target and I've seen high 550s shot in Field. Not too long ago, last year or year before, a perfect 560 was recorded at a national event. Now, the 80 and 70 Yard Walk Ups have a 5.18" diameter bull's eye. When I shot field I prided myself in ripping that bull's eye to pieces and drilling the X heavily. In State competition I've cleaned the 80 Yard Walk Up twice, hitting the 80 yard bull's eye in two others (missing the 50 or would have cleaned them). I also cleaned the Hunter 70 yard twice, Xed it clean once. I did this with two different bows. One a true target bow, 56 or 57 pounds max. The other was my Hoyt UltraTec 3D bow where I had to de-tune it to get down to 280 fps (282 fps actual). Now, cranking at 295 fps it shot just as well. This bow has the Red Line single cam with floating yoke - yes, with so much cam lean. [Another pet peeve of mine, worrying about cam lean. Excessive, yes, correct. A little and bow shoots good, worry about something else.]

The above said, all fixed broadheads are not created equal. However, it takes quite a bit of tinkering to get some to shoot as well as a field point, not due to lateral/horizontal nock/string travel, but due to the broadheads design. I know of only one that says he gets super accuracy with a fixed broadhead cranking near 300 fps. At what distances, I don't know. A well known Professional Hunter says he can tune a spade to shoot. So tuning a broadhead should be a little easier

Not a believer in shooting game past 40 yards I don't see this lateral/horizontal nock/string travel issue (I will not call it a problem) doing any harm or causing excessive tuning to shoot this distance.

And then there is that Randy O. breaking balloons at 200 yards.

And then the ASA Long Shot is always in the 90 yard range and always shot with the same bows used during the events.

My longest shot ever taken was on a Delta Buffalo at 110 yards. It was a Long Shot where it was the next target after the 40 target 3D event. We were allowed 3 shots. I changed only my vertical sight setting and drilled the 10 ring with my 3rd shot.

Okay, we know we have straight string travel, but at a small degree from true bow center. What proof is out there that says we need straight string travel back to true bow center?
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 03-12-2011 at 04:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some quick data

I collected some measurements on several bows in the same way with the same tools. It is not perfect but good enough to show the picture of how much lateral torque these bows have (generally speaking only).

I completed the measurements 8 feet infront of a right handed bow. I put the bow in the hooter shooter and started to draw the bow just enough to get it to center in the grip with pressure. I then put the hooter shooter laser tool on the side of the riser and pointed it towards the wall 8 feet away. I marked the wall where the laser was pointing. Then I pulled the bow to my full draw 27 3/4" using the hooter shooter. Back to the laser on the bow in the same spot and pointing to the wall. The laser was 100% of the time pointing to the right at full draw compared to at rest on the bows tested.

Year, Model, cable gaurd system, distance
    2011 Alien Z Roller Guard 3.5" (Stock)
    2010 Alien Z Off set steel rod 2.25" (Modified)
    2009 Warthog Off set steel rod 2.75" (Modified)
    2011 Nemisis Straight Carbon Rod 2.187" (Stock)
    2011 Firecat 400 TRG 1.875 (Stock)
    2011 Onza 3 TRG 1.0" (Stock)
    2011 Nemisis Tilt Tamer <.5" (Same Nemisis)

I know this is not how to measure left and right nock travel properly but it is the best I can do to try and find out what is going on and if I have changed it when modifying the cable rod.

The TRG system does appear to do what it is designed to do.
    The Tilt Tamer is even better just because it is adjustable. If you could move the TRG system left and right on the cable rod it would also be better than a stock TRG system.

Any guess on which bows are a fist fight to tune and which ones tune easy?

I'm currently shooting the Onza 3 and will be working to make the Nemisis better and see if I can shoot it better or as good as the onza.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take a guess and say the hardest ones to tunee are those with the roller guards.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Default good question

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I'll take a guess and say the hardest ones to tunee are those with the roller guards.
    All I know about tuning roller guards is not much.

I always take them off for this reason and never even try, but I bet it is not fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Its really not any more difficult to tune a roller guard bow than one with a rod and slide.....the center shot is really the only thing that changes, and it dosen't change by much.

Advantage Custom Strings

SonnyThomas

Tuned a Alien X today - roller guide. I don't care for rollers. I eye balled center shot, shot, made slight adjustment and pretty much drilled a bullet hole. Owner could not.