Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to quiet my bow?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to quiet my bow?

First things first. I had a great experience with Martin when I returned my bow for warranty work. Joel and Roxy were great to work with. I know I'm not aware of other individuals who were also involved, but I appreciate their help as well. Martin's reputation for great customer service is well warranted.

I've got an '09 MOAB and it seems a bit loud, especially when shooting next to other bows. I'm sure some of the effect is simply due to proximity, but are their any tricks to quieting the bow?

I have abare string, relatively speaking, just 3/16" peep and d-loop. I do have a sring stopper, but that is the extent of the hush material. I'm probablu going to add limbsavers to each limb, maybe sring silencers too? My area bow tech suggested I don't need to clutter the string with silencers as the string stop should kill the string vibration/noise, but what about the cable?

Does shooting at a lower weight quet the bow? Thanks for reading. Look forward to tapping into the wealth of knowledge routinely displayed in this forum. Thanks again.

LMJii
    2011 Firecat 360, 29", 65#, 386 @ 275 fps.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quieting a bow. CAT WHISKERS ON THE STRINGS HERE IS HOW I do
    http://forums.mathewsinc.com/archery...-how-to-86556/

Experiment with the STS and that will help.

Limb savers as well.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Something that is quite often overlooked is the arrows that you are shooting. Shooting a light arrow to gain more speed will make your bow louder. Try some heavier arrows and that should quiet your bow down for you. You will loose some speed but will gain in KE.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got some 400 grain ICS Bowhunters. Reckon I could add another 25 grains with a heavier head too. Is 386 gr. too light shooting at 65 - 68#? At this point I plan to add the limbsavers. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Also don't forget the fact that a bow sounds louder when you are the shooter. Have someone else shoot your bow, and stand next to them. See if it sounds as loud as you think. I'm always trying to keep my bows as quiet as possible since I mainly hunt. I use string leeches, but plan on switching to cat whiskers. Limb savers or Bow Jax on the limbs, and an STS or the new SOS. Cables, I don't really worry about much. Every bit of arrow weight you add also quiets the bow. Just don't go overboard, and start shooting broomsticks. lol
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cyclepath View Post
    Something that is quite often overlooked is the arrows that you are shooting. Shooting a light arrow to gain more speed will make your bow louder. Try some heavier arrows and that should quiet your bow down for you. You will loose some speed but will gain in KE.
    Good point and I also for got to mention it.

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

As I recall, the Moab's had to be timed properly to keep them quiet, your string and cables may have streched a bit by now, and lost the timing, acounting for the increased noise. Just a thought...
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I've got about a year of archery experience under my belt. Not enough to know much. Forgive me if this sounds ignorant... How or what should I do to evaluate/correct timing on my bow? As a single cam bow with probablu a thousand or more shots through it the string is good and stretched. But wht can I do with a single cam? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LMJii View Post
    I've got about a year of archery experience under my belt. Not enough to know much. Forgive me if this sounds ignorant... How or what should I do to evaluate/correct timing on my bow? As a single cam bow with probablu a thousand or more shots through it the string is good and stretched. But wht can I do with a single cam? Thanks.
    You are not ignorant just not up to speed yet. A single cam bow can be over clocked cam or under clocked cam. This will make unnecessary noise as it comes to rest after a shot. If you can post a pic of the cam and the position of the string so we can give you some help.

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

Will do. Should I take a pic of the cam at rest, or do I need to have a pic taken at full draw? Is a pic from one side better than another? Thanks for the help.