Thread: Martin sales rep

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin sales rep

went to my fav pro shop today in hopes of shooting some new Martins. The owner is irritated,to put it mildly,that they havenet even heard from the rep since they got last years bows in. Not a good way to sell your product,IMO. They said the rep contacted them earlier in the year pushing the Howa rifles that he also reps for. Maybe they(Martin) should just cut that rep and find someone more interested in doing their job and getting product to the dealers. I spoke to another shop owner who is dropping the Martin line entirely for the same reason. Wondering if it's the same rep,being that the two shops are approx 40mi apart. Thanks for hearing the rant. Any input?

Post Thanks / Like

i would bet its the same rep

Post Thanks / Like

I'd think the folks in Walla Walla would like to to know which sales region that is.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I would... sound like a job opening up huh
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    I'd think the folks in Walla Walla would like to to know which sales region that is.
    Twin Ponds Sports in Stanton,Mi. The other shop already made up their mind. It's the only other dealer without driving 70+ miles to shoot a Martin. I'd like to contact Martin,but not sure if it's my place to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    Twin Ponds Sports in Stanton,Mi. The other shop already made up their mind. It's the only other dealer without driving 70+ miles to shoot a Martin. I'd like to contact Martin,but not sure if it's my place to do so.
    You should contact Martin if you are concerned. Really, your dealer should be doing it, but you can always call and voice your thoughts. The rep for WI, according to Martin's catalog, is Bob Miles and he lives in Horton. It's right there on the inside of the back cover of the catalog.

Sometimes reps don't always make house calls, which to me is just rude and bad business. A reo could at least have the decency to call his dealers and if requestedthen make an appointment to drop in. Afterall, the rep makes his living on sales commissions.

Shooting for and being involved with reps for 18 years, actually being a rep for Pearson in 2003, I've learned a little about this business. It all falls under the heading of customer service. Afterall, the dealers buy their bows so they are the first in line.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

In all honesty, I really don't see the point in reps after the shop has been setup as a dealer and all the initial contacts have been made. Most shops are better off dealing directly with the manufacturer, cut out the middle man and there is less chance of mistakes being made with orders and things seem to go a little smoother.

I'm very fortunate in the fact that i do have very good reps for Martin/Rytera that I can call if needed, I just prefer to email my orders direct to Martin, get a confimation and wait for the bows to show up.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Funny you say Twin Ponds. I am originally from Ionia, MI but currently live and go to graduate school in Mount Pleasant, MI. This may not be relative to the argument, but Twin Ponds is kind of a smaller sports shop. Now I'm not saying that this means the store shouldn't get new bows and new product in. I'm simply saying that the store has to figure out which products will sell fast and bring them in profitable margins. Knowing the area where Twin Ponds is located, they might just be saying that the rep hasn't contacted them when in actuality the store just doesn't want to bring in mass amounts of products that they cant push and make money on. If you are looking to shoot some of the new martins then I suggest you take a trip up to Clare, MI and visit Jays Sporting Goods. They have some of the best bow selection in the state of MI. I would say top 3, them being number 2. You won't be disappointed with the store and the bow selection over there at Jays Sporting Goods. Hope you find some time to get over there and test those. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kylecurtis04 View Post
    Funny you say Twin Ponds. I am originally from Ionia, MI but currently live and go to graduate school in Mount Pleasant, MI. This may not be relative to the argument, but Twin Ponds is kind of a smaller sports shop. Now I'm not saying that this means the store shouldn't get new bows and new product in. I'm simply saying that the store has to figure out which products will sell fast and bring them in profitable margins. Knowing the area where Twin Ponds is located, they might just be saying that the rep hasn't contacted them when in actuality the store just doesn't want to bring in mass amounts of products that they cant push and make money on. If you are looking to shoot some of the new martins then I suggest you take a trip up to Clare, MI and visit Jays Sporting Goods. They have some of the best bow selection in the state of MI. I would say top 3, them being number 2. You won't be disappointed with the store and the bow selection over there at Jays Sporting Goods. Hope you find some time to get over there and test those. Good Luck!
    I was raised in Ionia and still live here. TP is growing fast. Constantly expanding their product line. I'm very loyal to their shop. But if they don't have what I want,when I want it,ill have to go somewhere else. I'm supposed to be going to Jay's soon. Well see what happens. I'd rate them #1 actually. They've got way more selection than Cabela's or Bass Pro. And you don't have to pay for their museum.

Post Thanks / Like

You're from Ionia too? Small world, lol. Yea I too would say that Jays is number one but some people think Schupbachs over there in Jackson are number one. Their prices are outrageous though. Thats great that you support a small business like that. Have you looked at Gold Star on South 66? Not too sure if they carry Martin or not, but they seem to have pretty good customer service and a decent selection of bows. How long have you lived in Ionia?