Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cam Rotation: Over/under rotated

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    To me " loud and hard" comes from a bow not tuned properly. Right now the noisiest thing on my Shadowcat is the draw cord for the Limb Driver - when it snaps tight to lower the rest after shot.
    I had my AX tuned w/cams in perfect sync. tiller equal and @ 28" if I remember correctly I was getting 312fps 61ish lbs. and I think a 315 grain arrow. The cams were not wrapped up or at least I did not concentrate on that while tuning. My current Nemesis is tuned the same way. I have not had a chance the chrono. it but both bows were/are WHISPER QUIET. I was just saying I was led to believe that unless the Hybrix cams were in perfect sync., your bow was not in tune so I find it interesting that some folks are saying that it does not really matter whether or not the space between the top and bottom cables and the mods. at full draw. I'm soakin' it up like a sponge.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible to "over advance" the cams? I know you don't want the cables to touch the cable posts when wrapping up a cam, but can you get them too close? On my old '09 FC, I had them wrapped pretty close, and it shot like wildfire. Haven't tried wrapping my new FC400, but the Onza is wrapped tighter than the old FC. Cams are in time, but it seems a bit loud to me now. Just curious.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

SonnyThomas

Default Cam Rotation: Over/under rotated

This retarding and advancing the cams. Is there a sweet spot? I don't think so. Not unless you count fitting draw length. With the limb breakage Martin presently has we don't want more poundage, so forget twisting up the cables. When retarding or advancing the cams one should maintain ata.
    Shorter draw; twist up bow string and let out the cables to maintain ata.
    Longer draw; let out bow string and twist cables to maintain ata.

I just went through this with NOV RUT. The 2010 Shadowcat has a 41 1/2" ata. The too long a draw length measured 28 1/2". I twisted the string and cables as per NOV RUT and now have the deminsions of the 2011 Shadowcat, 41 1/4" ata (actual 41 5/16")and still have the too long of draw length of 28 1/2" and this with the mods set to 27". There is no more twisting up the bow string - It's over twisted now. How do you advance the cams? Let out the cables. To advance the cams to eliminate 1 1/2" of draw length makes the cams look incredibly wrong. And I'm still waiting for a reply from NOV RUT.
    According to nuts&bolts this bow is correct for draw length. Incredibly advanced cams and incredibly wrong looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Those cams look rotated the wrong direction. Definately WRONG looking!!!
    -2011 Martin Silencer 63# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .029 sight, Alpine Whisperflite drop away rest, Alpine 5 arrow quiver, G5 1/4" Meta Peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Warrior and Expedition Hunter (385gr), G5 Montec
    -2011 Martin Silencer, 73# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .019 sight, QAD Ultra Rest Pro LD, Tight Spot 5 arrow quiver, 1/4" G5 Meta peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Expedition Hunter 7595 camo (441gr), G5 Montec BH.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was wrapping my cams up....I was moving them the OTHER way. I was adding a couple of twists to the cables bring up to weight and untwisted the string to bring the cams around to where I wanted them. Then adjusted the draw stop to bring DL back into order. This dropped the let off, but for me was not an issue. Let off went from 80% to 68%. ATA is within a 3/32" and BH is within 1/8"
    -2011 Martin Silencer 63# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .029 sight, Alpine Whisperflite drop away rest, Alpine 5 arrow quiver, G5 1/4" Meta Peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Warrior and Expedition Hunter (385gr), G5 Montec
    -2011 Martin Silencer, 73# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .019 sight, QAD Ultra Rest Pro LD, Tight Spot 5 arrow quiver, 1/4" G5 Meta peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Expedition Hunter 7595 camo (441gr), G5 Montec BH.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Answers

From reading threads here and at AT and working on my own two Silencers I have learned a bit about these. First, I believe it was Doc that said the magic number for cam pin to cable gap was about .070" Second, I think Archer said the first thing you should do is take cables and string off and make sure that they are at company spec lenghts (make them so). After that go slow, make an adustment and remeasure everything. After taking my string and cables to spec. I was under max draw weight with the limbs taken down tight. So, I added a twist to the cables and remeasured. Continued doing this until I hit max weight. I was still not close to the magic .070 so I let out the string a few twists to close the gap. I got my gap close (.09 top/.08 bottom). Then checked cam synch at full draw and draw length. The synch was spot on. If it hadn't been, I would take a 1/2 or full twist out of one cable or take up that much in the other cable to get the synch and not go over max weight. My draw length was way too long when I measured after wrapping up my cams. I shortened up my DL with the draw stop. Bringing it back down to where it needed to be while on the draw table. This REDUCED my let off to about 68% (down from 80%), and as a side note got rid of the really harsh bumb at the end of the draw. My ATA and BH are within 1/8" of spec. Both are on the long side of spec.