Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What broad heads are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Started using Crimson Talons, which never let me down in harvesting a deer, but they were less accurate then their field tips. So, in spring of 2010 started using the Epek-3's which can be used as an field tip all in one. Enjoyed that fact, but i soon found out in the first couple of days of archery season, they seldom gave full pass throughs, making it difficult to track my deer. After 2 weeks and losing two of my four deer i shot, a buddy gave me a couple of broadheads he uses. Harvested 8 deer using them and highly recommend them, the NAP Spitfires. Funny thing is, he dislikes them? Go figure, all personal choice i guess...lol. Just picked up a Barnett crossbow at the PA Expo, they also recommend the NAP Spitfires for their xbows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigredhunter00 View Post
    yeah im surprised how many people out there actually use martins. Over in at it seems like im the only one in the chat that uses one besides my wife. Ive got no complaints with my maritn and prolly in 20 years i may get a new one. Just one question, i checked out martins site and didnt see the bengal on it any more. Did it get renamed or discontinued?
    Its called Ridge Hunter now!
    Over on AT, seems no one talks about what they shoot unless its one of the top 3 names, even though the board is sponsered by Martin....go figure
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 03-02-2011 at 07:45 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I use Wasp Cam Lok, 4 blades, vented blades, They stopped making them years ago. I found some stainless blades on E-bay this year, because the old carbon blades got rusted, and would not clean up and I did not trust them to cut. They are .015 thick. I killed a deer this year. They seem to fly great and I have almost 2 dozen of them. I got them in about 1982 or thereabouts. They cleaned up real nice with a little WD-40, and the new blades, they are fine. The Wasps cut meat, why switch?
    Bluesman
    2007 Slayer, 55#, Nitrous C, Bodoodle rest, Limbsaver sight, Kwikee Kwiver 3 arrow, Aka "The Man in Black"
    1981 Martin Cougar II MT-6, 60#, Whisker Biscuit, Fuse sight. Kwikee Kwiver
    1984 Browning Deluxe Nomad II XL, 50#, Browning Rack & Pinion sight, Flipper II rest. Kwikee Kwiver

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried a few different types but seem to always come back to the trusty Muzzy 3 blades... they just work.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

I was Given some muzzy 4blade 100gr. I need to try out in the spring.. be out of the Recurve most likely , Compound has the trusty 125 muzzy 3 blades. I see no reason to change
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

You guys do realize this thread is a couple years old, right?
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

It's alive!! It's alive!!

8. Likes Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I tryed the 100 gr. 3 blade Muzzy heads for a while at 3-D targets, then I tryed the 100 gr. 3 blade G 5 heads. The G5's flew and grouped alot better.
    I won the Ca. State Broadhead Chanmpionship with them.
    They are all I shoot now.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

Slick Trick Mag 100g Fly like field tips out to 80yards.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2014 Mathews Creed
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    You guys do realize this thread is a couple years old, right?
    Barry, just like rehashing days gone by only sooner

Two worst fixed blade broadheads I ever tried were the 100 gr Thunderheads and G5s. The Thunderheads, I wasn't all that tuning smart at the time, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, though I won't try them again to find out. The G5s, them, grrrrrrrr, clunkers. I had the 80 or 85 gr G5s for my wife. Didn't make any difference whether she shot them from her bow or crossbow they went where they wanted to go. Same with me with the 100 gr G5s, I couldn't get them to fly like I wanted. Almost forgot a third clunker, the Eastman cut on contact, tiny blade tipped. Wife shot a deer and the tiny blade curled back and the arrow bounced back. Sent it to Eastman and never heard word.

Wiser, I think, my Hoyt MagnaTec (only 14 years old) will now shoot any broadhead within reason - all the bows I have, it's dang hard to just retire my MagnaTec. I used my Pearson TX4 for reasons Barry would know.

My all time favorite is the NAP Shock Wave 100 gr mechanical broadhead and 30 plus deer says it works for me. It shoots fixed broadheads just as well...out to what I practice, 40 yards. I used the 100 gr NAP Braxe broadhead on the 11 point buck I wrote up here. The year before my wife bought some KMart RealTree cheapos, like $10 for 3. She got two kinds, low and regular profile. They both killed deer and the arrow went right where I aimed. Okay, I tested all before I used them for the real deal. Just pin point accurate out to 40 yards. ??? The Braxe I wrote up still might be here somewhere, maybe.
    /
    Wicked it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sonny Thomas; 01-23-2014 at 08:50 AM.
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself