Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What broad heads are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Way back in the day----way back, I started with the old Bear Razorheads. Then switched for the replaceable blade technology using Savora heads. Now this was before I knew anything about bow tuning and these things flew all over the place. Keeping them within a 4' pattern was a matter of luck. Then Savora came out with the swept back blades which helped a lot, plus I began to learn about tuning.

Then there was Satellite with, oh, so many parts. These found the trash can quick. Then there was Razorback 5 heads with the blades molded into the rotating ferrule (142gr). Had a two year stint with Anderson 245 magnums, a really wicked 1 1/2" cut. Used various Wasp heads as I got them free, but lost a blade or two a couple times after contacting bone. I just loved the thought of sticking my hands inside a deer knowing there was a razor blade in there somewhere.

Next was InnerLoc, both 75gr and 100gr, which I got for free when I repped for the company in 2003. They're a very precision machined head and similar to Muzzy in that the blades lock in very securely. They almost always screw on and align well with the shaft so there's less messing around with that. I do like the idea that I can spin check them and leave them on their respective shafts and change blades without having to remove or even loosen them, which ensures the integrity of that alignment. These are what I still have on my hunting arrows today,but do have to admit that the fire has burned out for hunting so they don't see much shooting any more.

I still have a few of each laying around somewhere, but lord know where.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Currently using a Wasp Hammer SST 100gr. Don't know how it performs on big game yet, but it flies very nice for me......matter of fact, just was shooting one not 3hrs ago and it's hitting right in there with my fld point.

A previous head I really liked out of my old bow and used for a few years, was the brown Cabela's Laser Pro Mag, 125gr. Don't even see those listed at Cabela's this year.

One I tried couple years ago that I did not like was Cabela's Laser Supreme 100gr w/locking collar. The blades on the ones I had were slightly loose after tightening the collar and I never did get them to fly well.

Others I used in the distant past were Bear Razorhead and a Savora like bfisher those mentioned, 2 or 3 Rocky Mtn heads (one at 145gr), and a couple Satellites.........really can't say I miss any of them.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

When I started hunting with a bow at 12 or 13 I shot a 45# bear recurve. My dad made my arrows, big heavy cedar shafts with 5 in stripped feathers and glue on Bear razorheads, man they looked like a spear to young eyes. Stuck a big fat six point that first year, thought I was the next howard hill. My first compound was a Golden Eagle. It was a magnisium riser about 45" long and heavy, I was bigtime and got some easton XX75s cause thats what chuck adams shot. My dad was a fan of leading edge heads so I was too right. I bought the Hoyt Bow Bullets, 145 grs and SHARP. they lasted me several years.
    I joined the navy at 17 and was out of archery for 20 yrs until a year and a half ago I bought a cheetah package and found this group of fine people. Since then I went to the Firecat and now the AX. Still a fan of the leading edge heads so I bought the Montec G5 CS's, they look like those old Bow Bullets. This year I hope to see how they perform.
    2010 Alien X
    29"/70#
    353gr GT Velocity XT 400 @ 320fps
    370gr GT Velocity Hunter 300 @ 315fps
    Tru-Fire Hurricane Release
    NAP Apache Rest
    Black Gold AMP 3 pin sight
    Limbsaver stabilizer
    G5 Montec

Post Thanks / Like

Grim Reapers and G5 montecs.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up rh stage 2

rage 2 blade fer me werks great !!!!!!!!!!

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Carbon Express fixed F-15's. They shoot like darts.

HUTCH
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Using epek xc3 and f-15 mechs, but will probably use the epeks hunting, did a few tests and the epeks leave a gaping hole while the f-15s left a 1 1/2" x1/8" slot.
    2010 Rytera Nemesis. 63lbs/29dl 292 fps 384gr arrow. Sword 6 pin sight

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the 3 bladed hole over a 2 blade slot even thought 2 blade are said to penatrate better, not like it makes much difference with the bows we shoot!
    Nice to see here you here bigredhunter00, enough of us martintech guys over on Broadhead.com to bring you over here...
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by polaris754 View Post
    rage 2 blade fer me werks great !!!!!!!!!!
    what he said

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

yeah im surprised how many people out there actually use martins. Over in at it seems like im the only one in the chat that uses one besides my wife. Ive got no complaints with my maritn and prolly in 20 years i may get a new one. Just one question, i checked out martins site and didnt see the bengal on it any more. Did it get renamed or discontinued?
    2010 Rytera Nemesis. 63lbs/29dl 292 fps 384gr arrow. Sword 6 pin sight