Thread: Arrow Selection for 2011 Shadowcat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arrow Selection for 2011 Shadowcat

Hello.

Requesting the following ARROW SELECTION information for 2011 Martin Shadowcat with Nitro 2.0 cams.

1) Minumum and maximum arrow spine reccommendations for shooting at 50#, 60#, and 70#.

2) Minimum and maximum arrow GPI reccommendations for shooting at 50#, 60#, and 70#.

3) Minimum and maximum total arrow weight (including nock, fletching, insert and tip) reccommendations for shooting at 50#, 60#, and 70#.

Bow information pertaining to proper arrow selection:
    31" draw
    30" arrows
    Nitro 2.0 cams.

Please advise,

Atavio
    Last edited by Atavio; 02-25-2011 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Left out some info.

Post Thanks / Like

If you go to the Pin Wheel software website, you can down load a free trial version of OT2 and play around with all the variables on your bow and arrow setups.

http://pinwheelsoftware.com/

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks for the info. That softwre is great, however I would first like to start with basic answers to arrow weight and spine selection.

Any suggestions for that, anyone?

Atavio

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to second archerx7 advise to download that program. I have and use the Software for Archers version shown of right hand side of linked page.

Once you select your bow from the database and input some personal measurements needed, it will help you find a proper spined and balanced arrow for whatever draw weight you decide to use.
    After you have an arrow you like, and have put in accurate requested information, you can print out sight pin spacing templates, review ballistic tables, etc......

There are just so many choices of arrows along with combination of vanes, points, even nocks that it makes your request not as easy as it may sound.....and choices or recommendation can vary depending on what you plan to do, as in indoor target? hunting? 3D shoots? Field archery?
    1) maybe a spine of 400 at 50lbs, 340 at 60lbs, and 340 or even 300 at 70lbs, or whatever a manufacturer may offer between there??
    2) GPI of the arrow varies a great deal depending on arrow and arrow manufacturer. Regardless of draw weight, you could have between 7-8GPI to 10-11GPI. My arrow shafts typically run in the 8.5 - 9.4GPI range
    3) The arrow weight is also going to vary widely. Warranty, and maybe common sense, requires a minimum of 5.0grs/lb, but you could go 10+grs/lb. I personally like a mid range of 6.0 -6.5grs/lb regardless of bow draw weight.

For a starting point look at spine charts of arrow manufacturer you may want to use or talk with local proshop
    Last edited by RLW; 03-02-2011 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Corrected gr/in error to gr/lb
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

RLW,

Only one correction there. In answer number 6; It's a minimum of 5 gr/lb, not per inch. Otherwise, good info.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    RLW,

Only one correction there. In answer number 6; It's a minimum of 5 gr/lb, not per inch. Otherwise, good info.
    oops, sorry. Every once in a while I get in a hurry and not only need spell check, but some sort of "type the words I'm actually thinking" check.........Thanks for the correction.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove