Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inconsistent shooting HELP!

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Inconsistent shooting HELP!

Hello! My son is 12 yrs old, he shoots a Diamond Razors Edge bow, draw length 27", draw weight 50 lbs, he shoots 2 to 3 times a week. My question is, when he shoots at targets he's not consistent, but when be shoots 3D he's dead on. We have worked through torquing the bow, he had Target panic for a bit got over that, now I'm not sure how to help with inconsistent Target shooting. When he shoots 10 yards, he's good, 20 yards is where he falls apart. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure he's not jerking or pulling the trigger, and make sure the bow isn't tilted to the left or right during the shot. Also, it helps to exhale and squeeze the trigger, or inhale and hold just before the shot.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

My wife has similar issues with the same bow. I understand it's nothing to do with the bow, just kinda coincidental. Like AS said, make sure he is leveling the bow before the shot. My wifes main issues are getting her to understand a consistent anchor point or points, and a consistent loose grip. With her it also makes a difference if she's wearing bulky clothing.
    This is challenging for me because the frustration can be directed at the HUSBAND as usual & when they reach a certain point they stop listening .
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyNative View Post
    My wife has similar issues with the same bow. I understand it's nothing to do with the bow, just kinda coincidental. Like AS said, make sure he is leveling the bow before the shot. My wifes main issues are getting her to understand a consistent anchor point or points, and a consistent loose grip. With her it also makes a difference if she's wearing bulky clothing.
    This is challenging for me because the frustration can be directed at the HUSBAND as usual & when they reach a certain point they stop listening .
    All of the above could just a well apply to your wife's lack of concentation, crank her back down if she's shooting over 40#, the easier it is, the more they'll shoot, and if they shoot more, they'll soon shoot better.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Right now she is at 36 pounds and has no issues with the draw. I told her I won't go to 40 till she's consistent at 20 yards.
    Personally I think part of the issue is the short riser on the razor edge. I've been trying to talk her into a longer riser, longer A2A, single cam bow. She is real twitchy when trying to keep her sight bubble level.
    Convincing her that every step must be repeated the same is a challenge. She wants to grip it differently, don't like the string on her nose, stuff like that. If she doesn't at least hit the 10 ring in three shots she starts beating up on herself and gets worse. Then she over analyzes and starts to over compensate things.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

Makes me remember back to my childhood. Shooting clays with my dad. I'd average about 65% until he got mad. I was having more fun just hearing the gun go off than hitting targets. Once he got mad, I'd go somewhere around 95% until I got bored, then back to 65% again. I'm thinking you might be running into the same thing. Making it more exciting than just hitting targets will probably cure his problems. I know I am a better shot when shooting at even hand drawn targets. I draw squirrels, prairie dogs, birds, deer, anything I can think of. Draw a dartboard. That's a good one for multiple shooters.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you feal its a lack of concentration, on aiming at a plane ole target face..
    drawing on a 3D real lookin animal is a lot more interesting.

make it fun , play some games with him.. tic tac toe,there are so manyout there.. or get your self some small water balloons. (personal fav)

look here
    http://www.dewclawarchery.com/printa...gets-a/136.htm

Now one that got my kids (son /grandkids) to be on the money was a simple dare... I put 1 of mine in the spot I want them to aim @

Thats right... Dare you kids to hit my arrow hood that thing and IT'S YOUR's
    has not happend yet but boy you should see them groups get tighter
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that has helped a little. I bought a small nerf football and toss it around the yard and have her try to hit it. Helps with judging distance too. The football does not have a dot, or rings, or an X that make her feel like she's failed like a target does.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

When he is shooting a 3d course he has a totally dark background to aim at a spot which makes it easier to sight on and hit. When he is shooting target is he shooting a five spot target? These have a very light background which makes it harder to focus on and see where your arrow is hitting. Try using a large target with a dark background, perhaps black with a orange or red bulls eye at 20 yards and see if this will improve his accuracy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shoots martin View Post
    Hello! My son is 12 yrs old, he shoots a Diamond Razors Edge bow, draw length 27", draw weight 50 lbs, he shoots 2 to 3 times a week. My question is, when he shoots at targets he's not consistent, but when be shoots 3D he's dead on. We have worked through torquing the bow, he had Target panic for a bit got over that, now I'm not sure how to help with inconsistent Target shooting. When he shoots 10 yards, he's good, 20 yards is where he falls apart. Any ideas?
    Could be that 50 # is a bit much for him, he's 12. When my grandon was 12 ( last year ) we kept him at 30#s, now at 40#s, you can see how consistant he's getting.
    http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechfo...ead.php?t=8890
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade