Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inconsistent shooting HELP!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Inconsistent shooting HELP!

Hello! My son is 12 yrs old, he shoots a Diamond Razors Edge bow, draw length 27", draw weight 50 lbs, he shoots 2 to 3 times a week. My question is, when he shoots at targets he's not consistent, but when be shoots 3D he's dead on. We have worked through torquing the bow, he had Target panic for a bit got over that, now I'm not sure how to help with inconsistent Target shooting. When he shoots 10 yards, he's good, 20 yards is where he falls apart. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure he's not jerking or pulling the trigger, and make sure the bow isn't tilted to the left or right during the shot. Also, it helps to exhale and squeeze the trigger, or inhale and hold just before the shot.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

My wife has similar issues with the same bow. I understand it's nothing to do with the bow, just kinda coincidental. Like AS said, make sure he is leveling the bow before the shot. My wifes main issues are getting her to understand a consistent anchor point or points, and a consistent loose grip. With her it also makes a difference if she's wearing bulky clothing.
    This is challenging for me because the frustration can be directed at the HUSBAND as usual & when they reach a certain point they stop listening .
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

Do you feal its a lack of concentration, on aiming at a plane ole target face..
    drawing on a 3D real lookin animal is a lot more interesting.

make it fun , play some games with him.. tic tac toe,there are so manyout there.. or get your self some small water balloons. (personal fav)

look here
    http://www.dewclawarchery.com/printa...gets-a/136.htm

Now one that got my kids (son /grandkids) to be on the money was a simple dare... I put 1 of mine in the spot I want them to aim @

Thats right... Dare you kids to hit my arrow hood that thing and IT'S YOUR's
    has not happend yet but boy you should see them groups get tighter
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that has helped a little. I bought a small nerf football and toss it around the yard and have her try to hit it. Helps with judging distance too. The football does not have a dot, or rings, or an X that make her feel like she's failed like a target does.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

When he is shooting a 3d course he has a totally dark background to aim at a spot which makes it easier to sight on and hit. When he is shooting target is he shooting a five spot target? These have a very light background which makes it harder to focus on and see where your arrow is hitting. Try using a large target with a dark background, perhaps black with a orange or red bulls eye at 20 yards and see if this will improve his accuracy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shoots martin View Post
    Hello! My son is 12 yrs old, he shoots a Diamond Razors Edge bow, draw length 27", draw weight 50 lbs, he shoots 2 to 3 times a week. My question is, when he shoots at targets he's not consistent, but when be shoots 3D he's dead on. We have worked through torquing the bow, he had Target panic for a bit got over that, now I'm not sure how to help with inconsistent Target shooting. When he shoots 10 yards, he's good, 20 yards is where he falls apart. Any ideas?
    Could be that 50 # is a bit much for him, he's 12. When my grandon was 12 ( last year ) we kept him at 30#s, now at 40#s, you can see how consistant he's getting.
    http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechfo...ead.php?t=8890
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Good point there elkslayer. Drop the poundage 10 or 15 pounds, this will help alot. Alot of people I shoot spot with are only pulling 35 to 45, and they are much much much much older.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cyclepath View Post
    Good point there elkslayer. Drop the poundage 10 or 15 pounds, this will help alot. Alot of people I shoot spot with are only pulling 35 to 45, and they are much much much much older.
    I agree with it maybe being too much weight, at least for learning to better his shooting form. I'm a prime example of what cyclepath just said. I'm a grown man, fairly YOUNG at 63, and shooting spots I have been shooting 42#.
    Foam or paper doesn't jump the string so speed isn't an issue nor is penetration, but bettering ones form calls for being able to control the bow easily to build good form, which builds muscle and mind memory, all necessary for accuracy.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

SonnyThomas

Default Inconsistent shooting HELP!

Good replies and advice so far. Wholeheartedly agree that 50 pounds is quite a bit for most 12 year olds. That much weight and he may be trying to get the shot off too quickly.

You say he's dead on in 3D, but greatly inconsistent with spots. With spots you get 4 minutes to get off 5 shots and people tend to shoot all 5 arrows well before the 4 minutes expires. So pacing ones self is important. Said is give yourself 15 to 17 seconds between shots and relax that bow arm - straighten out and then relax or some movement to let the blood flow.
    Note; Some broke down the strength % shot for shot, something like the following; 100% for the 1st shot, 90% 2nd, 75% 3rd, 65% 4th, 60% 5th. Now, give that bow arm 15 seconds or so and strength is back to 100%.

Okay, in 3D that 1 shot uses up so much energy, but is recovered through the minutes before the next 3D target is shot.

Shooting a 3D target opposed to shooting a spot. Most people do tend to shoot 3D better than spots. I would note there is nothing to make you really bear down in 3D, sight in wise. You put the pin where you think the point is and let go. Spots though have this dang ring to stay within - one tenses up, tries to make the pin stay within the ring and thus creates more movement.

One of the worst things to do for one helping is to "see" what the shooter sees. Is the peep allowing enough light in? Is the sight housing edging the peep opening and creating a problem? Are the pins of the right diameter for the game or that person? Does he or she have eye problems that don't show otherwise?

Eye glasses. Yep, needed for some, but if for just for reading take the dang things off. Those with 150 or even 175 corrective bifocals can well get by without them for shooting. If needed for distance then frames or lens may need changed. Usually the inside corners of the glasses are in the way and worse, the corrective glass does not extended enough or a different grind is incorporated at the edge of the glass.
    I have terrible eyes. Top left, straight glass. Top right, magnification. Bottom left, 175. Bottom right, 150. I wear my glasses to adjust my sight frame and take them off to shoot.