Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inconsistent shooting HELP!

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My 15 year old daughter shoots a martin jaguar. We have her set at 40lbs. I have to say that it is more than enough for her. So set the bow down to 35 or 40 and you will see a difference.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'll turn his bow down, even though he pulls back 50lbs well. My two boy's shoot indoor 3D tonight, I think I'll wait till after he's done tonight to turn his bow down. He has his eye on a Silencer, I'm in tr$uble.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyNative View Post
    My wife has similar issues with the same bow. I understand it's nothing to do with the bow, just kinda coincidental. Like AS said, make sure he is leveling the bow before the shot. My wifes main issues are getting her to understand a consistent anchor point or points, and a consistent loose grip. With her it also makes a difference if she's wearing bulky clothing.
    This is challenging for me because the frustration can be directed at the HUSBAND as usual & when they reach a certain point they stop listening .
    All of the above could just a well apply to your wife's lack of concentation, crank her back down if she's shooting over 40#, the easier it is, the more they'll shoot, and if they shoot more, they'll soon shoot better.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Right now she is at 36 pounds and has no issues with the draw. I told her I won't go to 40 till she's consistent at 20 yards.
    Personally I think part of the issue is the short riser on the razor edge. I've been trying to talk her into a longer riser, longer A2A, single cam bow. She is real twitchy when trying to keep her sight bubble level.
    Convincing her that every step must be repeated the same is a challenge. She wants to grip it differently, don't like the string on her nose, stuff like that. If she doesn't at least hit the 10 ring in three shots she starts beating up on herself and gets worse. Then she over analyzes and starts to over compensate things.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

Makes me remember back to my childhood. Shooting clays with my dad. I'd average about 65% until he got mad. I was having more fun just hearing the gun go off than hitting targets. Once he got mad, I'd go somewhere around 95% until I got bored, then back to 65% again. I'm thinking you might be running into the same thing. Making it more exciting than just hitting targets will probably cure his problems. I know I am a better shot when shooting at even hand drawn targets. I draw squirrels, prairie dogs, birds, deer, anything I can think of. Draw a dartboard. That's a good one for multiple shooters.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an up date on my sons shooting. He shot indoor 3D lastnight and started out a little off his game, so I said what the heck and lowered his draw weight from 50lbs down to 45lbs. The rest of the night he did seem to shoot better each round. I think I will keep him at 45lbs and see how he shoots targets this weekend. I do have to brag a little, my 9 yr old son was shooting the 20yrd and 30yrd 3D targets and had lots of 10's, and 8's.

Post Thanks / Like

thats awsome keep it up an they will both out shoot ya...every kid wants to be just like dad
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shoots martin View Post
    Here's an up date on my sons shooting. He shot indoor 3D lastnight and started out a little off his game, so I said what the heck and lowered his draw weight from 50lbs down to 45lbs. The rest of the night he did seem to shoot better each round. I think I will keep him at 45lbs and see how he shoots targets this weekend. I do have to brag a little, my 9 yr old son was shooting the 20yrd and 30yrd 3D targets and had lots of 10's, and 8's.
    Of course you now you'll have to resight his bow. 20 yards probably won't change much, but longer yardages will. That 5# just might help him out. It's better for him to learn to shoot correctly than to break any bad habits he might otherwise have formed.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Of course you now you'll have to resight his bow. 20 yards probably won't change much, but longer yardages will. That 5# just might help him out. It's better for him to learn to shoot correctly than to break any bad habits he might otherwise have formed.
    Amen to that. The kid is young, don't rush him, by the time he's outta high school, he'll be outshooting you ( maybe ) but he'll be trying to. If you'd like an idea of how often parents over bow their children, take a look at the AT classifieds Womens and youth bows.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 03-04-2011 at 06:44 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Amen to that. The kid is young, don't rush him, by the time he's outta high school, he'll be outshooting you ( maybe ) but he'll be trying to. If you'd like an idea of how often parents over bow thire children, take a look at the AT classifieds Womens and youth bows.
    Hey, I'd venture an educated guess and say at least half the adult males are overbowed, too. That and probably close to 75% shoot a longer draw length than what they should.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver