Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who uses a range finder?

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a Bushnell Yardage Pro 400 for a long time. It's worked fine during most bowhunts, but after last fall, thinking I'm ready to upgrade.

My 3D shooting buddy went out to hike along with me on a quick rifle day hunt for deer last fall. Just after shooting light we spotted a nice little 2x2 mule deer that was up hill from the truck and perfect for the freezer.
    We had plenty of time as it was feeding on an open sagebrush hillside, so decided to compare our rangefinders. His Leupold RX1000 ranged it at 246yds. My old Bushnell wouldn't even pick it up in the early light.........but my rifle did.

Think I've narrowed it down to angle compensating Bushnell or Nikon 550.
    Last edited by RLW; 08-26-2011 at 01:00 PM.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    I have a range finder, but only use it rifle hunting. For bow hunting, I have locators at known distances, trees, rocks, shrub, etc. I figure the less I have to carry in and mess with, the quieter I am and the less movement I make. For hunting over a field, I'll shove sticks in the ground at known distances.
    I came across this recently while searching for something I could use to make my laser rangefinder more accessible and at the same time make it less likely to lose because of forgetting where I placed it "in the heat of the moment". It also helps minimize movement. It's called the Range Snap - a simple device that clips to your bino strap or backpack strap to hold your rangefinder or whatever else. You can also use it for a multitude of other items.
    http://jaciarchery.com/Range_Snap_uses.html
    08/13 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67.5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the Bushnell Legend for several years now, chose that model because it's waterproof. Use it to check distances in a new stand; don't really need it much, most shots I get are under 15 yds.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyhud View Post
    I came across this recently while searching for something I could use to make my laser rangefinder more accessible and at the same time make it less likely to lose because of forgetting where I placed it "in the heat of the moment". It also helps minimize movement. It's called the Range Snap - a simple device that clips to your bino strap or backpack strap to hold your rangefinder or whatever else. You can also use it for a multitude of other items.
    http://jaciarchery.com/Range_Snap_uses.html
    Good find Rockyhud! And a reasonable price! thx!

Post Thanks / Like

i do , i have a bushnell 450 that works great, it is a little large in the hand and i plan on getting a smaller one. don't need the ark versions, only hunt from popup blinds.
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

Bushnell 450. use more for the practice sessions, but every now and then I'll take on a hunt.
    Ray from Auburn
    2011 Mathews Z7 w/QAD
    2011 Bear Strike Blackout w/QAD
    2011 Bowtech Assassin w/QAD
    2010 Elite Z28 w/QAD
    Carbon Express Maximas
    100gr Thunderheads
    100gr Tru-fire switchblades
    100gr Cabelas CopperHeads

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody try the Wild Game Innovations Halo series?

http://www.wildgameinnovations.com/p...e-finders.html
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Bushnell yardage pro 400. my brothers and i pass it back and forth. itake it out the first couple time of hunting a new area to get ranges to different things,like an odd tree stump or a large rock,etc. i get 2 ranges per shot angle. close range and max effective range. from a treestand,my 30yd pin is dead on at a 35yd target, 20yd pin for a 25yd target,and anything closer than 20yds i aim low.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Life View Post
    Anybody try the Wild Game Innovations Halo series?
    http://www.wildgameinnovations.com/p...e-finders.html
    I was recently reading a lot of reviews and checking out several rangefinders. That was one I was interested in just due to the price, but couldn't find many good reviews out there......a couple I did find spooked me a bit, so I honest didn't give it much fair time at the store when I saw one.

But as an update to my post above, I just did upgrade from my old Bushnell Yardage Pro 400, to a new model Leupold RX-1000i TBR DNA.
    Pricey little thing, but I got a really good deal and really liking this unit after playing with it some. Very clear optics and solid build.
    It's so called "bow" mode, correcting for angled shots, now ranges out to 125yds, changing to Line-Of-Sight reading past that.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

Default dont leave home with out it

bushnell the way to go werks great fer me