Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2" or 4" vanes?

Post Thanks / Like

I can think of a dandy forkie taken off of Wolf Creek, that never heard those blazers comming.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

SonnyThomas

Default 2" or 4" vanes?

You guys ever hear of dosemeter or decibel gage? It checks sound emissions. We had to use them at motercycle enduro races. I don't know whether the reader could pick up vane noise, should though.

Anyway, have someone stand down range, off to the side hopefull , and let them listen for the arrow. You'll be surprised.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    You guys ever hear of dosemeter or decibel gage? It checks sound emissions. We had to use them at motercycle enduro races. I don't know whether the reader could pick up vane noise, should though.

Anyway, have someone stand down range, off to the side hopefull , and let them listen for the arrow. You'll be surprised.
    .......and if it's below 96db we're good!...........for the race anyway

I think I was told the ones used at some of our local rides/races only went down to 40db, but seem to remember somebody (I think on this site) saying they had done that with some sort of similar sound meter.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post

yes i have... use them at the coast here for all the sand toys..
    and yes you will one would hope they stand out of the way, as i said hide behind a tree ..lol one could just duck
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
    you wont ... but down range someone else can tell.

....does it matter ? umm doubt i could get outa the way fast enough..and I know lots of deer /elk that failed too
    X2... Something about an arrow doing near race car speed.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I did a study last year about ths time with a noise meter and 2" - 3" - 4" vanes don't remember which but the 2" and 4" were louder then the 3". I'm now shooting 3" after I mess up my 4" stock vanes....
    09 Bengal 29" @ 68#
    Truglo 5 pin
    Trophy Taker Extreme
    NAP Nightmare 100grn
    Blackhawk Vapor Pro 3000 265grn

Post Thanks / Like

AS, race car speed? Last deer I hit I was going about 25 mph. Well, it actually ran into me. lol
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    AS, race car speed? Last deer I hit I was going about 25 mph. Well, it actually ran into me. lol
    I wouldn't try doing that too much, cause it costs more than an arrow does.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyNative View Post
    X2, tighter groups for me. Some say they (blazer) are quieter too??? I can't notice it.
    Ditto....................

Post Thanks / Like

AS, it's a chronic problem I have with Fords. I've had 3 Ford work trucks, hit a deer within the first 3 months with all 3. Always in the dark, or fog, and never over 45 mph. Just bought a Mustang, and I'm hoping to break that cycle. lol

Eric
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.