Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to next year

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking to next year

I'm currently shooting hunter in 3-D. I've been thinking about stepping up to open next year. I've been looking for a bow to get to shoot open. I have a 27" DL. I now have a mission eliminator and a mathews hyperlite that I'm shooting. I've had these for a while now. In the past, I've also owned 2 martins; a '03 jaguar magnum and a '08 saber. I liked these bows alot. I really enjoyed shooting the jaguar. It was the first single cam bow I ever owned too! I've been thinking about getting either the shadowcat or the onza 3. I noticed that the onza DL only goes down to 27.5 for DL. But the shadowcat shows a DL of 27". I'll get a bow before the end of the year, but I would like your imput about the shadowcat and the onza 3. Is there any valley at all on the shadowcat? There defintely wasn't on the saber I had, and I had to lengthen it, which was the reason I ended up selling it. It shot really good and fast and was extremely accurate. But I couldn't get comfortable to shoot it. I really have a LOVE for martin, but I just need some opinions if you guys would give me some of your good and bad comments.
    Thanks,
    Tommy

Post Thanks / Like

Not to make selecting a bow more difficult, but take a look at the Rytera Alien Z with the Hybrix 1.5 cams. It falls right in between the SC and Onza in A2A length and you'll be shooting closer to the max DL on the AZ instead of the bottom end of the DL on the other two.

Both the Nitro and Hybrix cams have a very deep valley, and with the rotating mods and adjustable draw stop you can fine tune the DL, letoff and valley to suit your particular shooting style.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archerx7 View Post
    Not to make selecting a bow more difficult, but take a look at the Rytera Alien Z with the Hybrix 1.5 cams. It falls right in between the SC and Onza in A2A length and you'll be shooting closer to the max DL on the AZ instead of the bottom end of the DL on the other two.

Both the Nitro and Hybrix cams have a very deep valley, and with the rotating mods and adjustable draw stop you can fine tune the DL, letoff and valley to suit your particular shooting style.
    I would second this. If the Alien Z or even the Nemisis is within your budget they are worth a serious look. I also shoot about 26.5 to 27" draw (depends on the bow) and have been shooting a "Z" since last May and it's a phenominal piece of equipment. I haven't really checked the specs on it, but am shooting it right on the bottom end of the module. This should be
    26", but it runs a little long.

I just got my Nemisis and there is a difference between the two. First is the grip. The change to the "saddleback" grip is really a nice one. I much prefer this to last year's straight grip. I honestly feel like the Nemisis balances better and the draw length runs a bit shorter, I think. I haven't measured it yet, but it seems to feel shorter in the same module holes.

With your stature (what? 5'9" or so?) either would make a really nice 3D rig.

I am in the process of getting some new parts (limbs & cams) for the Nemisis so am not taking the time to set it up just so-so, but I think I'm going to really like it as much as I do the Z, if not more so.

Neither bow is going to be a real smoker IMO, because of the draw length we shoot, but I can say that my Z is right at 280 fps at 42#, 27 1/8", and shooting 5 gr/lb. I've had one bow that got 300 fps, but have no real need for it. I'm a senior and am not required to shoot over 35 yards most of the time, but I judge yardage pretty well too. Just can't shoot worth a darn any more.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I checked out the Z and nemesis. Just out of my price range! I guess I'll have to go to a dealer. That's going to be an hour drive. I'll see what I can find and hopefully be able to putting money away.
    Tommy

SonnyThomas

Default Looking to next year

If the two you mentioned are out of your price range then the Shadowcat is also.

Plainer words for the valley, at 80% letoff you have a deep valley. Shooting lower poundage and set at 80% letoff you get the feeling the bow won't let down.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have your heart set on a new bow you can check the classifieds on AT or e-bay for a nice used or maybe new bow. I've been looking myself for a new to me 3d bow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Neither bow is going to be a real smoker IMO, because of the draw length we shoot, but I can say that my Z is right at 280 fps at 42#, 27 1/8", and shooting 5 gr/lb. I've had one bow that got 300 fps, but have no real need for it. I'm a senior and am not required to shoot over 35 yards most of the time, but I judge yardage pretty well too. Just can't shoot worth a darn any more.
    just wanna make sure, you're getting 280 fps shooting at 42#? we don't have any shops in our area where i can try one of these, but if its that fast, is the draw cycle pretty severe? love my SC but don't like the speed shooting 50#, 27.5 draw, 275 X Ringers weighing 275 gr. what am i missing out on?

thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosII View Post
    just wanna make sure, you're getting 280 fps shooting at 42#? we don't have any shops in our area where i can try one of these, but if its that fast, is the draw cycle pretty severe? love my SC but don't like the speed shooting 50#, 27.5 draw, 275 X Ringers weighing 275 gr. what am i missing out on?

thanks.
    Truth is that no cam has a harsh draw cycle at 42#. Due to muscle loss I'm able to draw only about 50#, but I handle something around 45# much better. The bow in question is my Alien Z set for 42# and 27 1/8" draw. The arrows are GT UL 600. Raw shaft is 25 1/2". With CB bushing and G nock they are just about 26". 35gr target tip with 10 grain weights in the back brings the arrow to 209gr. They actually shoot 278 fps.

Just for giggles I pumped the bow up to 50# and shot a couple over the chrono at 296 fps. This was without any supertuning or optimizing the cams. Pretty much straight out of the box.

Lately I've had the bow set up for indoor spots where speed isn't an issue. Shooting a 377gr GT 22 Pro series it chrono's at 220 fps.

These are all measured figures on the bow and real world figures on speed. I'd have liked more speed, but it is what it is. No inflating the speed on my part.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

ahh haa...its all in the arrow weight.

Thanks for responding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosII View Post
    ahh haa...its all in the arrow weight.

Thanks for responding.
    More or less. Draw length plays a lot too. I see so many others posting about getting speeds exceeding 300fps with other bows. I take it with a grain of salt and wonder if these are chrono figures or just from some on-line calculator. I have learned to live with more conservative figures.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver