Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOAB Limb Failure - AGAIN!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Angry MOAB Limb Failure - AGAIN!!!!

Moments ago I discovered both the top and bottom limbs on my '09 MOAB have developed cracks on the outside of the limbs, opposite the Roto limb thing...

Here's the kicker - this is the third set of limbs to crack/fail since purchase from an authorized Martin dealer in March of '10. I have received two RA numbers and have had the limbs replaced, first by a bow shop authorized by an agent of Martin Archery, and second by Martin themselves. Of course I incurred the cost to ship the 1st set of broken limbs and then the entire bow back to Martin. With this pending repair, I will be on the fourth set of limbs. This is far from reasonable.

Before making any baseless assumptions, I'll mention a few obvious items: I know not to crank the bow limbs down to the riser, I have never kept the bow anywhere other than in my office or home (stable climate), I shoot 386 grain arrows at 65#, and have never dry fired the bow. What I have done is shoot the bow as one would when practicing or hunting and have treated it with kid gloves, consistent with all the other things I value.

With this latest limb failure, I immediately took the bow to the most reputable bow shop in my area. They refused to pull the bow back or even handle it for fear of catastophic failure. They even commented on the obvious and excessive appearance of the string torque as represented by the string leaving the idler wheel into the CCS. After admitting that the only thing I had done to the bow after receiving it direct from Martin Warranty Repair was to put the sight and rest on.

At this point I am extremely frustrated. I know that limb failure can and does occur. But I refuse to believe that 3 sets of limbs, and now going on a fourth can be due to simple bad luck. There is something inherantly wrong with the bow. Most frustrating is I will now miss a local 3d shoot, and Martin Customer service is not open on the weekend. So any recourse will have to wait until Monday.

Is my experience somehow within the realm of possibility? Do people ever go through this many sets of limbs on their compound bow (maybe many more at this rate)? I feel I have a lemon for a compound bow. And the real kick in the pants is that I have been shooting real well out to 50 yards. I feel real comfortable with the bow and have not wanted to purchase another brand. I just want the one I bought to work as advertised. Only the one and only bow I own is a danger to shoot, AGAIN!

I'm sure when I call on Monday, the gentleman who handles warranty repair (who shall remain nameless even though many of you know who I am referring to. He has always been very accomodating and understanding through this process) will recognize my voice and probably shake his head in disbelief. Much like I'm shaking my head in disbelief now.

Thanks for letting me rant. For those who care, I'll post my experiences. It's tough sticking by a brand that you really want to be loyal to, only to have that brand dissappoint over and over again.

LMJII
    2011 Firecat 360, 29", 65#, 386 @ 275 fps.

Post Thanks / Like

There's not much I can say to help. You've already been through the proper channels, it seems, and know who to talk to.....Joel. Maybe there is something wrong with the riser to cause such limb failures.

Personally I've only ever had two limbs failures in 38 years of shooting compounds bows. The first was a 1979 Ben Pearson Pro Staff 4000 which I made the mistake of leaving in a black case locked in the back of my truck on a hot sunny day. The heat got to be too much and the limb delaminated. My mistake, but pearson was gracious enough to give me new limbs. The second was a 2008 Martin FireCat which split in the limb fork. In this case Martin preferred to upgrade with all 2010 parts with the exception of the riser.

So, I would say that your experience is definitely not the norm.

Is there any way you can post a picture. By your explanation I'm not quite certain just where the limb is failing, but am interested in knowing for sure.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I will post a pick of the top limb. Of the two it seems to show the best. The bottom limb you really have to look hard. None of the cracks are cosmetic, as I hoped. You gan really grab a thumb nail on them as they are more deep than wide. Thanks for reading. I'm glad someone thinks the problem may be with the bow (riser) and not just a run of bad luck with limbs.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm actually happy this pic turned out. It was the first of the batch, and the best. Just out of pic frame left is the limb bolt. Thanks for looking
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Is the break always in the same spot? Something's not right.

Looks like it's in line with the metal "button"? on the Rotolimb.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Short answer, no.

Long answer:

The first set of limbs (by the way, the top limb seems to be the one that goes with greater effect) developed a crack in the split near the idler wheel. It was a seemingly benign crack, but upon further inspection, the top and bottom limbs had cracked in the split areas, if I remeber correctly.

The second set of limbs develped a splinter that began to peel away on the top limb. The appearance looked like a portion of the limb was simply seprating from the rest of the limb. The splinter as I call it was about 2 - inches in length. Again, this was on the top limb only.

This time, the third time, I found the fissure or crack in the top limb. It is about an inch, maybe an inch and a half long. And just as that picture shows it as maybe a centimeter from the edge of the limb. What you don't see is a smaller yet similar crack on the other side of the limb that is also about a centimeter from the edge of the limb. The bottom limb also has a very minute fissure. If I had viewed the bottom limb fissure only, I might think it was purely cosmetic. Both of the cracks on the top limb are significant enough to scrape your thumb nail down. All of the cracks are indeed in line with the Rotolimb. They are on the outside of the limb, directly opposite of the Rotolimb.

Thanks for taking an interest.

LMJ

Post Thanks / Like

not any help here just wanted to say I am on your side, I would be freaking out, mostlikey loaded up the truck an headed north...
    I trust that " the tech service guy" will be shocked as well and take care of you again..
    I do wonder if ..there is any cam lean / limb twist ?
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I could be wrong, but something definitely doesn't seem to be right with the bow. Three sets of limbs, all cracking similarly, just doesn't make sense.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
    I do wonder if ..there is any cam lean / limb twist ?
    X2 A good question.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Unless there is some defect in the riser, aren't Moab's a 3 piece pinned riser?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade