Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MOAB Limb Failure - AGAIN!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Unless there is some defect in the riser, aren't Moab's a 3 piece pinned riser?
    Correct, its a 3 pc riser, same as the rest of the Martin line. I sold at least a half dozen Moabs in 09, none have been back in for anything other than strings or a tune. I would have to believe this is an isolated problem with LMJ's bow. One set of limbs is is one thing but 3 sets...........I would have to think theres a problem with the bow thats being overlooked by his shops and the techs at Martin.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Default 3-piece riser is doubtful the cause

I know this doesn't make the experience you've had any less frustrating but when my bottom limb cracked, about 1-1/2 years ago, I checked into the possibility of the 3-piece riser being at fault. From all the research I did I could not find even one instance indicating this riser design being at fault. Now, with that said, your particular case makes me wonder if there's something wrong with your specific riser such as how straight or perpendicular to the riser the limb bolt holes are or some other mechanical tolerance that's not right. Having gone through 3 sets of limbs and now needing a fourth set, I feel certain Joel will want the whole bow sent back so they can inspect it to a much greater extent to find the root cause of the many failures.

If this were happening to me I would also press Martin to pay for shipping this time, given the multiple failures this bow has had. I hope you keep us apprised of how this develops because this will definitely be a case that will show just how good Martin customer service is. I'm betting they will come through and take care of you and your bow issues in a manner that's very acceptable to you, the customer. They haven't gained one of the best customer service reputations by treating customers poorly.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 66# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made torque reducing cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

How long did Martin have your bow the last time for the third set of limbs? I don't understand why they didn't find a problem then? I hope you finally get this taken care of good luck?

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 09 Moab and although problems with this particular model seem few and far between, I encounted problems almost identical to your first two limb failures.

Fortunately the problem was solved before it progressed any further, after I was sent a conversion kit containing Acu-Trak cam and idler, Roto cups etc. and importantly, the new solid core limbs. Pleased to say, after many hundreds of shots, the bow continues to perform beautifully.

I'm certainly not a technician, however I think your issue is more likely than not, a limb problem, possibly related to faulty resin that bonds the limb laminations together. Hence the recent switch to solid core limbs. Maybe the resin begins to break down after time, meaning that all the 09 replacement limbs are destined for a similar fate because they were manufactured at a similar time.

I live in Australia and have been buying Martin bows, traditional and compounds, for more than 30 years. In all that time, Martin hasn't let me down yet and I'm sure they'll get your bow fixed soon. I've got quite a number of Martin and Rytera compounds but I think my 'go to' is still my 09 Moab.

Good luck mate.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try to address the previous concerns. Let me please say that I appreciate the attention everyone has given my concern.

As far as cam lean, I'm not sure any is present. I say this because when I look at it critically, in a statis position, I can't tell of any lean in the cam, nor the idler wheel. BUT, when I received the bow from Martin this passed month, the string exiting the idler wheel, toward the CCS, was/is at an extreme angle, much more than I recall previously. So much so that it seems the string was replaced incorrectly (my thoughts as well as the bow tech. whose comments were relayed earlier). But this does not explain why the limbs from previous episodes failed. I would suggest the string/Idler wheel tandem did not seem to be so radical at that time.

As far as limb twist, I obviously can't tell when drawing the bow. I will try to post pics of the idler/string entry/exit point from front and back if that helps.

As far as the 3-peice riser is concerned... Prior to purchase someone pointed out that as a potential weakness. I have "bumped" the bow with my fist to sniff out any vibration in the past. I have always felt like the bow is loud, such that I felt betrayed by Martin'e claim that they make quiet bows. But I have never heard anything from the test vibrations to suggest that the riser is loose, or even contributory in transmitting or initiating any vibration or effect that may be transmitted to the limbs. I don't know.

I do know that I am looking at a fourth pair of limbs. I also know that I feel like a sucker for paying sipping over and over again for a recurring problem that is now sure to be due to a defective compoiund bow system, maybe not just 3 sets of bad limbs.

I'll try to post pics of the extreme angles of the string and idler relation, although I don't think it to be conclusive for reasons stated earlier. Thanks again everyuone for your help. I just want my bow to work.

LMJii
    2011 Firecat 360, 29", 65#, 386 @ 275 fps.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the poor spelling. Working on a long day, without any spell check.

Thanks again for the responses.

LMJii

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said earlier, I'm about convinced that the extreme string angle as it leaves the idler is not a contributor to my limb failure issues. It is alarming that it didn't look like this before going tom warranty repair, but does now. Also, as a disclaimer, I don;t know enough to determine if this is extreme, but the accomplished bow tech. thought it was very remarkable that I should receive this back from the factory.

In order, the back, front of idler wheel/string relationship. If you look well, you will be able to see the relationship between the pictures. Also included is a pic of the back side of the cam. Don't know of anything remarkable. Just thought I'd include it because I know I don't know enough to what I don't know. Thanks again for the attention.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I'd note that I have had the bow for about a year. I have been infrequent with it's use, more lately than before. I have noticed, again as seconded by the bow tech. that the string is "ate up", as he put it. Just food for thought... no pun intended.

LMJii

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

what side of the cable guard do your strings run? The strings on my Cheetah run on the shelf side. It looks like your cables are pulled further to the side than they should be.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Well, from the back side of the bow, as I pull, the strings run to my right of the center shot side. Yes, they do seem to pull harder than they did, especially before I sent the bow to Martin Warranty! I never noticed the extreme lean until I got the bow bacK from Martin. I will personally guarantee the bow did not bit at the idler wheel like that before I sent it to Martin. I'm not laying blame I've said before, in my limited experience, the limbs failed before the perceived hard string angle from the idler wheel to the CCS. I'm telling you though, the string is hard pressed to keep form. Thanks for asking.

LMJii