Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max draw weight

Post Thanks / Like

Default Max draw weight

Would like some input on where the limb weights end up when maxed out. My "other" bow has 60-70 lb limbs and maxes out at 72. Trying to figure out what limbs to get. I got a call from the Martin dealer today & they said the 2011's will be in Wednesday. No leftys, but come in and look. They are only stocking the gold series bows. My theory is that a bow is designed to be more efficient at peak draw weight. So does anyone know where these will max out?

Onza with 35-50
    Onza with 45-60
    Silencer with 35-50
    Silencer with 45-60
    Pantera with 35-50
    Pantera with 45-60
    Ridge Hunter with 35-50
    Ridge Hunter with 45-60
    I have seen a few peoples comments in various threads & can't seem to find them. Seems to me I seen a comment where a set of 50 pound limbs maxed out around 58. If this is true I could go with 50's instead of 60's. See where I'm going with this?
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z

Post Thanks / Like

The ones that I've gottn in so far have all maxed at 1-2# over the marked DW. Exile, Onza, FC 400 and FC 360. I think the one mentioned that maxed 8# over was either an exception or the cables may have been a little too short.

Advantage Custom Strings

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the 3lb rule. If it is 3lbs or under its OK. If it is over then untwist the cables and make it right.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

To clarify things, untwisting the cables would only work on the hybrid cam bows; on a single cam you would untwist the string, changing cable length changes the cam rotation(timing).
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyNative View Post
    ....See where I'm going with this?
    No. I don't see where you are going with this.

If the sticker says the bow is supposed to max at 60#, the bow is supposed to max at 60#.

It's that simple.

If you want to make it complicated, cam timing can make a bow max higher or lower than the sticker says, but it also changes the draw length and if the bow has a stop peg, it will change the valley and let-off as well.

If you want 60#, order 60#.

Post Thanks / Like

So basically somewhere between 1-3 pounds variance is the norm with Martin? Looks like 60 pound limbs are in my future.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptJJ View Post
    To clarify things, untwisting the cables would only work on the hybrid cam bows; on a single cam you would untwist the string, changing cable length changes the cam rotation(timing).
    What are you talking about?

Single cam bows have a cable. Changing it's length does the same thing on them, as it does on any other cam system.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    No. I don't see where you are going with this.

If the sticker says the bow is supposed to max at 60#, the bow is supposed to max at 60#.

It's that simple.

If you want to make it complicated, cam timing can make a bow max higher or lower than the sticker says, but it also changes the draw length and if the bow has a stop peg, it will change the valley and let-off as well.

If you want 60#, order 60#.
    From what I've read and heard ALL manufacturers exceed maximum weight to some point when the limb bolts are completely tight. Was just looking for a guideline to use.

"No. I don't see where you are going with this." If the 50 pound limbs bottom out at +8 I will not need to get 60 pound limbs.
    Last edited by NuttyNative; 03-06-2011 at 10:02 AM.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyNative View Post
    From what I've read and heard ALL manufacturers exceed maximum weight to some poine when the limb bolts ate completely tight. Was just looking for a guideline to use.

"No. I don't see where you are going with this." If the 50 pound limbs bottom out at +8 I will not need to get 60 pound limbs.
    You are correct, most manufacturers bows will max 1-2# over the stated DW. Martins are the same, not sure why the one maxed 8 over. If I had to guess.....the string and cables were probably out of spec. If you want to shoot around 60# with the limbs tightened down, order the 60# model.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    What are you talking about?

Single cam bows have a cable. Changing it's length does the same thing on them, as it does on any other cam system.
    Not with the IDLER wheel on top, it's a little different. I should have said twist the string and cable.
    Last edited by CaptJJ; 03-06-2011 at 07:41 AM.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba