Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Max draw weight

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archerx7 View Post
    You are correct, most manufacturers bows will max 1-2# over the stated DW. Martins are the same, not sure why the one maxed 8 over. If I had to guess.....the string and cables were probably out of spec. If you want to shoot around 60# with the limbs tightened down, order the 60# model.
    That bow was my new Rytera Nemisis. I ordered 50# and it maxes at 58# on my scale and the one at Kinsey's Archery. It has 175 Barnesdale limbs. By comparison my Alien Z has 195 Barnesdale limbs and peaks at 53#. This is one of the issues I took up with Joel on Friday and I am being sent a pair of 195 limbs. Now don't use these numbers for Martin limbs. If your bow is sporting Martin limbs they will have a different limb deflection code.

So to answer Nutty's question, if the limbs are the right ones and the rigging (string/cable) are twisted properly to specs most bows will peak a couple pounds over the bows rated peak weight. There is some variance in the industry with plus or minus a couple pounds being acceptable. So a bow rated for 45-60 may end up anywhere from about 58# to 62#. Two pounds either way isn't going to hurt a darn thing. It can be changed simply by changing string and/or cable length a hair.

It's similar to automobiles. EPA rating might be 35 mpg. One might get 38mpg and one gets 33mpg. Both are within acceptable limits.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptJJ View Post
    Not with the IDLER wheel on top, it's a little different. I should have said twist the string and cable.
    No, it's not any different.

Shortening the cable, retards the cam.
    Shortening the string, advances it.
    Shortening both, doesn't change cam timing at all. It just reduces the ATA length.

That is the same for every cam system, on every bow. The only difference with the single cam, is that there is only one cable. That means there is no second cable to adjust for cam sync.

Cam timing, and cam sync, are two different things. They are related, but you need two cams, for sync to apply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    No, it's not any different.

Shortening the cable, retards the cam.
    Shortening the string, advances it.
    Shortening both, doesn't change cam timing at all. It just reduces the ATA length.

That is the same for every cam system, on every bow. The only difference with the single cam, is that there is only one cable. That means there is no second cable to adjust for cam sync.

Cam timing, and cam sync, are two different things. They are related, but you need two cams, for sync to apply.
    We agree, that's what I was trying to say; I just didn't do a good job between my two posts.

And if there isn't a second cam to sync, there is a difference; like I said about the IDLER.

Looking at my second post it should be untwist the string and cable. This whole discussion was about reducing preload on the limbs. My bad.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Very informative stuff here. I did not know you can change draw weight by twisting the cables. One to two pounds is very acceptable anywhere. I guess I'm just weird, picky, or anal, but want to make the right choice for what I'm looking to buy. I don't like gaps between the riser and limbs for several reasons, and feel the performance is better on the top end.
    We all know five pounds doesn't sound like much but feels very different.
    and can make a huge difference to the shooter in fatigue and/or comfortability.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z