Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: custom Cheetah...paint?

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Default custom Cheetah...paint?

after thinkin about it for a few days, I decided I'm giving it a go. If I don't like it, I can always put both bows back to original. But, a custom bow needs custom paint. What are my options? Powdercoat,auto paint,custom dip? What are your opinions and why? Pros and cons of the different options? Your input is valued and appreciated. Thanks, guys.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Powder coat I believe is the most durable of the finishes you mentioned but can't be used on the limbs as it is a baked on finish. My own bow has a black PC riser and camo limbs. I believe one of the members on this forum does powdercoating.

I've seen a few bows done with automotive paint, they look good as long as its done right, but would probably be less durable and prone to scratchs, something to consider if its a hunting bow.

Film dip is very good and you'll have lots of options for patterns, but it can get a little expensive depending on the pattern you choose, and if its not clear coated it won't hold up well on the contact areas such as the grip.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Spiker has started a powdercoating business as far as i know. You can PM him and ask about the details.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

100% powdercoat.i do sandblasting as a side job so i deal with a very good powdercoater.so many custom colors.if you go through a small town coater not a major production coater then you will ger better quality.last longer and more care is put inton the job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravediggermtv View Post
    100% powdercoat.i do sandblasting as a side job so i deal with a very good powdercoater.so many custom colors.if you go through a small town coater not a major production coater then you will ger better quality.last longer and more care is put inton the job.
    what's a good price to pay for PC? And what about the non-metal parts of the riser(VEM's,Martin coin,American flag emblem)? Are they savable or will they need replaced?
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    what's a good price to pay for PC? And what about the non-metal parts of the riser(VEM's,Martin coin,American flag emblem)? Are they savable or will they need replaced?
    i would replace them.once ypu pull them off it might be dificult to put back on.call martin and get replacements.and for a price that all depends on coler.do you want a mettle flake,gloss,flat.differnt colors all very in price.some colors take a bit more finese to place.and also what sate you live in.sales tax.it can range frome 40-50 or 100+ and then some.really you need to find a coater in you area or i can give you the name of mine.pm me if you want his name and contact info.this guy does custom bikes,well to keep it shot everything from a to z.i have not askd him aout doing a bow,but if its metal he can do it.allso remember if you do find a coater n your area to have your riser sand blasted or strip it clean your self.no soda blast or wallnut,or silicon.a good well used grit that has ben blasted down to a fine powder works bet.its what we use on old old car parts and we have people coming from a few states over to have stuff blasted.

Post Thanks / Like

For a camo or other dip, I'd try Dynamic Finishes in Kansas City Mo. I've done business with them in the past, and they do really good work at a very reasonable price. Everything is cleaned, primed, dipped, and clear coated. They do most of Remingtons custom dipping on guns, as well as a few other big name companies. If there was one bad thing to say about them, their turn around time is a little slow once in a while. I kind of expect this though. Makes more sense to do a job of 100 pieces for a major company before you do a single piece for an individual.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

EHunter

What do you think it would coast to dip a bow? Riser and limbs for sure and possibly cams.

I have seen DIY kits and they have piqued my curiosity.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious about those kits,too. I'm still looking into it. Google "hydrographics". If I find pertinent info,ill let you know.

Post Thanks / Like

Search hydro dip on AT, has been a lot of talk about the kits. Trick is the water temp, timing, and the clearcoat dip, by now I'm sure you've read my post on flim dip. The kit is 100 bucks, get a sq meter of film. Hidden cost is the heated tanks.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade