Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Ground blind or tree stand?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Simple Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Up here
    Posts
    999
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Ground blind or tree stand?

    What do you guys prefer to hunt out of.I use a ladder stand,but sucks when it is raining.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Arrow Splitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Gilmanton, NH, United States
    Posts
    3,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Both.

    A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    northport,NY
    Posts
    147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's kind of a funny thing for me. I always use a fixed tree stand but the few deer I've shot with a bow always came when I was on the ground lol One time I had just finished strapping my ladder on after switching spots and a nice 6 pt came within 40 yds to see what was going on and me with my stand in my hand instead of a bow lol busted never saw another deer on that hunt figures

  4. #4
    Senior Member Simple Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Up here
    Posts
    999
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpalt1 View Post
    It's kind of a funny thing for me. I always use a fixed tree stand but the few deer I've shot with a bow always came when I was on the ground lol One time I had just finished strapping my ladder on after switching spots and a nice 6 pt came within 40 yds to see what was going on and me with my stand in my hand instead of a bow lol busted never saw another deer on that hunt figures
    Yup,isn't that the way
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

  5. #5
    Senior Member Simple Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Up here
    Posts
    999
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What are you guys using for ground blinds?Are they water resistent?
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ehunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southeast Kansas
    Posts
    1,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I use ladder stands for deer hunting for the most part. I have 1 regular fixed tree stand, and one that is built into the tree out of scrap lumber. Just bought a ground blind from Rhino Labs last year for turkey hunting. One of the nicer ground blinds I have seen, and a little cheaper than the "big name" brands. While not advertised as waterproof, my brother and dad sat in it for rifle season during a few rains, and said it didn't leak a drop. I've used it once hunting coyotes in the rain, and never saw a leak. It has the wrap around window (like a double bull blind) on two sides, and nice shooting windows on the other 2 sides. Shoot through netting all around. Magnetic solid window covers, so no zipper or velcro noise. Not as cheap as sme of the blinds I've seen out there, but worth every penny for me.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

    Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Speedykills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,008
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ill hunt from a stand most of the time,but i will make a blind from tree branches and stuff.That is how i got my 2010 buck.

  8. #8
    Senior Member ElkSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,049
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I use a Primos Ground max tallest one they make (I'm 6'4")
    I am happy to say it is so water proof that when the seam's and or windows leak it will fill the side pocket full of water...great for them thristy days..

    Fun fact they used a water proof mat but seam's are so tight it is full of small holes reminds me to get busy on the cover to fix that PITA thing

    other then that its great. I can deal with the drips , cause it sure better in side than out side in our rainy weather
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

  9. #9
    Super Moderator Arrow Splitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Gilmanton, NH, United States
    Posts
    3,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simple Life View Post
    What are you guys using for ground blinds?Are they water resistent?
    We have an Ameristep G30. It is water resistant, and since it was wearing a $74 price tag instead of the usual $99.83 price tag, its all good.

    A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

  10. #10
    Senior Member elkslayer4x5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lane County, Oregon
    Posts
    2,840
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
    I use a Primos Ground max tallest one they make (I'm 6'4")
    I am happy to say it is so water proof that when the seam's and or windows leak it will fill the side pocket full of water...great for them thristy days..

    Fun fact they used a water proof mat but seam's are so tight it is full of small holes reminds me to get busy on the cover to fix that PITA thing

    other then that its great. I can deal with the drips , cause it sure better in side than out side in our rainy weather
    Are you gonna re paint the seam with a sealer or make a ranifly that will provide over hang for the window?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •