Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much damage occured

Post Thanks / Like

Default How much damage occured

I was out shooting this afternoon, and when I was done I put the bow away and a few minutes later heard a loud noise in the basement, so I go to find out what happened, and the bow string had snapped. How do I figure out if I have any damage to the bow. I would imagine it can't be good for the string to let loose like that, or is it OK? The cable was still intact, just the string had snapped.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

That's strange, how old was the string?
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know. I got the bow from a friend in September, when he upgraded to a TR2. For all I know it could be the original.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

One way you can check the limbs for damage is to run a cotton ball all over the front and back surface. If there are any splinters or cracks starting or have developed they will tend to snag small strands of cotton, making them more easily visible. You can also do the same thing over the riser. From what I've seen and read the limbs are more likely to have been damaged than the riser, if there is any damage to any part of the bow.
    2008 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 66# DW), home-made TRG, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer/dampener, custom upper STS, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Also you can check the limbs by using a magnifying glass and a good light. This is the way we have gone over ours. And have found any issues.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

The cams and/or the axles could be damaged,too. I see you're in Knox, bring the bow up to Brown's Archery in Schenectady for a look. Bob's a great guy, been selling Martins along time; probably sold that bow to your friend.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Have you disassemble it yet ???
    you will need to as said check everything...thank your lucky stars it went after you were DONE shooting..

If your close to where JJ is talking about..would definitely take the drive...
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

SonnyThomas

Default How much damage occured

I've had this happend twice. One was a Golden Eagle some years back and the other a Hoyt UltraTec. No problems. This is not like a real dry fire, but on the order of.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have been looking over everything, and have found a few issues. 1. when the string let loose and the limbs flexed out, the cam hit a metal rack in 2 places. The first spot appears to be a paint smudge from the metal rack on the outside of the cam. The second spot actually dented the top of the string groove and it bowed the ridge of the cam inwards. 2. at the end of the limb where the axle of the cam passes through, there is a chip just on the very end of the limb that is right near the clip that holds the axle in.
    CaptJJ, I am near Schenectady, but I believe my friend bought it from Joe out at Point Blank Range in Esperance. Thank you for the tip.
    As I shot today, it sounded a little louder than normal. Is that due to the string starting to fail? I was blaming the pendulum sight I have on it.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

ES, I have not taken it apart yet. I did remove the remnants of the string and the cable though. Hopefully I will have some time tomorrow to really get into it. Aside from cracks in the riser or limbs, are there any other places to pay attention to? Someone mentioned the axles already.
    2012 Alien X