Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: archery tech school

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Default archery tech school

looking for an archery tech school to attend. There used to be a PSE tech school in Michigan,but the person that ran it passed away recently. I'd like to earn a tech certificate,which won't be that hard considering I worked in archery retail before. I just want to learn all aspects of archery and eventually the aspects of design and manufacturing. Any ideas.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

You are on the most accessable archery tech school I know of.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

If you really want to learn all the aspects of design and manufacture you need nothing more than an advanced engineering degree. As for learing the techncal aspects of bows in general there's nothing much better than tearing them apart, throwing them on a pile, and putting them back together.

CopterDoc has said it many times. Bows are a very simple machine and they are all machanically the same. Putting it more simply, there was a time I didn't know how to tighten a screw. Then I picked up a screwdriver and learned how. Bows are much the same. Just like I read threads where some guy goes and buys a $900 bow and then gets on the interent to ask how to change the draw weight or how to move a peep sight. Although I usually keep quiet I always, in mind, say "You got to be kidding me". It's simple. Righty tighty, lefty loosy.
    Last edited by bfisher; 03-08-2011 at 09:10 AM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

You're right Barry, bows are pretty simple but lots of people are pretty clueless when it comes to mechanical objects.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptJJ View Post
    You're right Barry, bows are pretty simple but lots of people are pretty clueless when it comes to mechanical objects.
    I'm far from clueless. I've done many custom 4x4 builds and V8 conversions. Tearing down and figuring that stuff out I can do. I'm talking cam tuning/design theory,string building,etc. I'd really like a career in the manufacturing or something along those lines.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    I'm far from clueless. I've done many custom 4x4 builds and V8 conversions. Tearing down and figuring that stuff out I can do. I'm talking cam tuning/design theory,string building,etc. I'd really like a career in the manufacturing or something along those lines.
    I certainly didn't mean you, I'm talking about the people that need to ask those seemingly easy questions.

I don't pay for service on anything from boats to laptops. Started in engineering in college, switched to biology and ended up as a fishing guide.
    Last edited by CaptJJ; 03-08-2011 at 10:44 AM.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting career so far!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptJJ View Post
    I certainly didn't mean you, I'm talking about the people that need to ask those seemingly easy questions.

I don't pay for service on anything from boats to laptops. Started in engineering in college, switched to biology and ended up as a fishing guide.
    I guess you found out that sometimes a college degree doesn't always prepare you for what you enjoy doing. You may never become rich moneywise, but there's more to living than just making money, although I haven't found it yet.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Just like I read threads where some guy goes and buys a $900 bow and then gets on the interent to ask how to change the draw weight or how to move a peep sight. Although I usually keep quiet I always, in mind, say "You got to be kidding me". It's simple. Righty tighty, lefty loosy.
    Some people are fortunate to start off with $900 bows, some start with cheap used ones or freebies.

Remember, everyone has to start somewhere. Your vast knowledge didn't just appear one day. I'm sure even you asked some questions along the way.

Even smart people like to ask questions. With the advent of the Internet it is very easy to get answers. In the grand old days if I didn't know how to do something I sat down and tried to figure it out. If I failed I had someone else do it or teach me. Now days it is easier to find a group of like minded individuals and ask some questions. It has probably squashed my creative reasoning skills but saved me lots of time, money, heart ache and sleep.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 03-08-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    Some people are fortunate to start off with $900 bows, some start with cheap used ones or freebies.

Remember, everyone has to start somewhere. Your vast knowledge didn't just appear one day. I'm sure even you asked some questions along the way.

Even smart people like to ask questions. With the advent of the Internet it is very easy to get answers. In the grand old days if I didn't know how to do something I sat down and tried to figure it out. If I failed I had someone else do it or teach me. Now days it is easier to find a group of like minded individuals and as some questions. It has probably squashed my creative reasoning skills but saved me lots of time, money, heart ache and sleep.
    You might be reading me wrong. I guess I'm coming across as arrogant without intending to be. Yeah, it's nice to be able to shoot top end equipment, and I for sure know that not everybody can afford it. Just that people should make an effort to seek knowledgable advice BEFORE plopping down upwards of a grand for a bare bow.

I have been fortunate in having enough money to be able to buy just about what I want. That might have something to do with working an average 65 hours a week for 25 years. I started with a KMart special, Bear Kodiak Hunter. Then a target recurve, then a used Jennings compound. I did learn a lot on the way, some by asking questions and paying attention to what the better target shooters were doing and then just doing my own tinkering. To that end I've never had a bow in a shop for anything other than to use a press or maybe their chrono. I'm your typical jack-of-all-trades and master-of-none. Oh, and I've made my share of mistakes, but that's part of learning, too. Sometimes I do something just to see what will happen. I always say that the person who never made a mistake just never did anything and a man who never tried anything didn't learn anything either.

As for helping other shooters learn? I go to the indoor range two nights a week to practice. Many times I get to shoot as little as 8 arrows and end up hanging the bow for the next 3 hours and helping others with form and/or equipment adjustments. I do a lot of coaching and my shooting suffers because of it, but I'm not the least bitter about it. I had my day in the limelight many years ago. Now its' somebody else's turn. If I can help another person do better then I consider it a succesful evening. I call it "giving something back".
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver