Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just purchased my first recurve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just purchased my first recurve

hi everyone, i just purchased a martin hunter on a bit of a whim. i've been shooting compounds for about 20 years and now have it in my head that i need to learn how to shoot more traditional equipment. i am a novice to say the least but am eager to learn. i would like to eventually become an accurate enough shooter to hunt with my recurve.
    so, here is what i am searching for help with:
    1) reccommended quivers (i always hunt with one attached to my compound)
    2) what arrows to shoot (60# bow); i prefer carbons
    3) what weight field points/ broadheads
    4) any other useful equipment and advise for someone just getting started

it's hard for me to get to a computer very regularly, but i appreciate any info that y'all can give me. thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

bow is 60# at 28". my draw length is 29.5"

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure on todays recurves , but if we compare to compound's one turn on limb bolt equaling 3# we'll say you bow will stack 3# an inch, giving you about 65#'s. I'd a mid weight carbon, 100 grn point, a 6-8 arrow bow mounted quiver will do, I say that many due to a recurves adapatabilty, you'll want to carry some small game heads.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

look at this link fill in the box with your info It will spit out a few shafts for you to use.. http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/selection

I shoot a 48# @ 28 with a 31+" draw thats makes it right at 55#
    Using a vapor pro 400 with 100 tip.. works for me..

some guys like to have around 10 gr per pound..so your new toy would need a 600+ gr arrow...nothing wrong with that.. I just prefer a bit lighter gr per pound

get your self a good finger tab, to start with go with BH weight you already have, as per that Quiver ? they do have some that mount to the bow.. I use an old one, just pack in other hand or on pack
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

About the question number 4 - you can make woollen string silencers and that's all additional thing you need on your bow.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    About the question number 4 - you can make woollen string silencers and that's all additional thing you need on your bow.
    A guy can always go the more tradional route as Alex suggests, but it's really tough to beat a golfball catwisker string silencer.... They'll hold up through any thing!

Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VABOWHUNTER View Post
    bow is 60# at 28". my draw length is 29.5"
    I assume the 29.5" is with a compound. This might change while drawing a 60# recurve. 60# is a lot to draw with a recurve. Good luck with it.

One accessory not mentioned was brush buttons. They're not really needed, but you might find them useful with keeping brush and twigs, etc, from jambing between the string and the limb tips; especially if you'll be doing any amount of spot & stock type hunting.

I always have mixed feeling about bow quivers, although I own several. I just don't shoot with them on the bow. The type you choose and amount of arrows you carry might mess you up. Don't forget, a recurve is a lot lighter than a compound so the balance is going to affected more.

For finger protection a finger-glove is usually more comfortable, but a tab is generally easier to get a clean release with. I would start with a tab like a Kantpinch. These aren't real expensive so you can change down the road without having spent too much money.

One other thing. Depending on the rest you choose or if you shoot ff the shelf you're going to want feathers. Vanes wreak havoc with off-the-shelf shooting. Besides, vanes aren't traditional.

I've a couple friends who bought recurves/longbows this year and have gone so far as buy wooden shafts and make up their own arrows. Something you may want to do later on.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys. useful information.
    i used to shoot a compound with a glove before i went to a release, so i was gonna try to use a glove with the recurve (it's been a while though). also, i do intend to shoot off the shelf and know that feathers therefore are a must.
    most of the arrow selection charts for different companies have me as being a little bit borderline on arrow shaft selection. should i go with the stiffer arrows to play it safe? someone suggested to me the carbon express heritage 350. anybody have some feedback on these arrows? i do like the fact that they look like wood shafts since i'm not yet ready to try the real thing.

Post Thanks / Like

If you went with slightly stiff, You can slightly weaken the spine by adding point weight.

Post Thanks / Like

ok, definitely having trouble with my arrow spine selection. i would greatly appreciate any help. i want to shoot 125 grain tips as they are readily available. i can cut my arrows to about 30-31" and be comfortable. i've read that too stiff of a spine is especially problematic with recurves and longbows and am already aware of the issues that can be had with arrows that are too weak. again, the bow is 60# at 28" and i draw 29.5". i'm not set on any particular brand, but do like the carbons with the wood look (not enough to knowingly sacrifice performance though)
    thanks again