Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: speed loop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    I can see it helping alignment, but to call it a "speed" loop? How does it help speed? I'll stick with my plain old BCY 24 Loop. No chance of the screws coming out. lol
    I agree. I've been around long enough to be able to use some common sense and anything added near the center of the string reduces speed.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

When the Speed Loop first came out it was supposed to be faster because you wouldn't need a peep alignment tube anymore. But like Barry said they didn't consider the extra weight on the string.

I remember when all these nock devices came out, overdraws were still popular and the first skinny carbons were out. I was shooting with a guy that had an overdraw, carbons, 80 lb draw(looking for speed); he decided to try one of the all metal nocks. There was a metallic clank after each shot, by the thrid shot the aluminum overdraw was ruined, had about a 1" dent in the back.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I agree. I've been around long enough to be able to use some common sense and anything added near the center of the string reduces speed.
    For those of us with no common sense I would like to say most of us realize adding almost anything to the string reduces speed. Even in the case of speed buttons by the cam...if they aren't in the right spot they'll also slow you down. Martin sold or sells a device called the Speed Lizard which is a dampning device. In the ad for the "Speed" Lizard it was stated that it absorbs vibration without affecting arrow "speed". I'm not sure what T.R.U. meant when they said "speed loop" but I purchase and install them to help w/ peep alignment. I'm no pro and needed help to keep my peep aligned while hunting/shooting. As I continue to learn from you all I hope to be able to confidently set up my bows so the peep will always stay aligned correctly. As for the speed I lost , I'm not sure how many fps the speed loop costs me and I'm not sure the game or the targets notice.
    Thanks again for all the guidance.
    cjchasman
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjchasman View Post
    I'm not sure what T.R.U. meant when they said "speed loop" but I purchase and install them to help w/ peep alignment.
    I answered that in the post previous to your's.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptJJ View Post
    I answered that in the post previous to your's.
    Thanks CaptJJ I saw that. I appreciate the non-judgemental input. I was just trying to explain my expierience with the speed loop. When I bought it speed was not a consideration to me. I was having an issue w/ the peep rotating and the speed loop helped. I am now aware of different approaches and plan on trying them out. Good luck this turkey season.

cjchasman
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

cj,

I was not implying that you didn't have any common sense, although you obviously thought so. For that I'm sorry. What I was trying to say is that over a span of almost 40 years of shooting compound bows I"ve seen things come and go and tried a vast majority of them. Always a tinkerer I've learned to recognize most things that are worth their salt and what are just gimmicks. That's what I meant by the "common sense" remark. So maybe it's not so much common sense so much as learning by experience.

What I have learned is to not put bandaids on things, but take care of the underlying problem. In the case of peep rotation the problem is not the peep nor is it a string loop. It's the quality of the strings. And I understand that not everybody is going to trash their strings and get new ones.

Instead of using a speed loop I would take the time to at least get the peep in a location so that it rolls around square each time. I did this for many years until I found out about good quality aftermarket strings. Fortunately for us all many bow companies are beginning to give us better strings.

We could go on and on, but please never feel that I am berating you or anybody else. I am continually learning from the experience of others. You included. But let me say right now that I'm not gonna kiss and make up. LOL.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

How does a small piece of aluminum screwed to your string keep your peep aligned? My peep is now off since putting leaches on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cyclepath View Post
    How does a small piece of aluminum screwed to your string keep your peep aligned? My peep is now off since putting leaches on.
    I'll try to explain...the package contains a blade shaped piece of aluminum w/ small screw attached clamping collars and a length of loop material. When this is properly attached to the bow string (blade to the portion of the string that needs to face you for alignment) it will remain in a fixed position on the string. I tie on the string loop first, then when attaching the aluminum piece you must adjust it to the fixed position on the string in which your peep is properly aligned. Tighten down the collars w/ the correct size screw driver and roll the loop around to line up w/ the blade. When you nock your arrow over the blade and place it in the arrow rest the peep will roll to the desired position time after time.

There are other ways to correct the peep rotation but I thought I would try and answer your question first. Check out some of the other posts on the matter. These guys will help you.

I'm sure I confused the issue more.

Chasman

Post Thanks / Like

This is a good aticle to help stop peep rotation

When installing a new string, I recommend shooting approximately 50 shots through the bow before installing the peep. After installing the peep, make a note of which way the peep is facing you will use this as your guide. Nock an arrow, point it safely at the target butt and shoot; notice that the peep has rotated from its earlier position. The string will creep and settle for the first few shots. Once the string has settled, you’ll notice the peep will be in exactly the same position after the shot. It could take as little as twenty shots or as many as a few hundred, depending on the quality of the manufacturing processes and the material used in making the string.

Once the string has settled you can tune the peep, make sure that it is set to the correct height and begin by nocking an arrow and drawing the bow slowly, watch how the peep moves as the string goes through the draw cycle. This is will tell you what to do with the peep. If your peep rotates from left to right, press the bow and twist the string a ½ twist in the same direction. I recommend that you twist from the bottom cam end. Now shoot the bow several times to settle the peep. If it still does not roll into the proper position, repeat the process. Always shoot the bow several times to settle the peep before checking for position. If the peep settles exactly opposite, then just flip the peep to face you. Relax the string in the press only enough to be able to get the peep out and turn it a half turn. Remember that each time the bow is in the press you must shoot the bow several times to settle the string.

Occasionally the peep will settle just a little off no matter what you do. At this point any adjustment moves the peep too far; it is the time to flip strands. Relax the string again. Look carefully at the direction of the string twist. For example, if the normal twist of the string is clockwise, and your peep must move to the left a ¼ of a turn, take two strands from the top left side and flip them to the bottom right side. Then take two strands (make sure they aren’t the same two strands) from the bottom right side and flip them to the top left side. This will pull the peep over to the direction you want. If you want to move it the other way, just do the same steps in the opposite direction. Note: more strands will mean more movement.

Shoot the bow to re-settle the string and repeat as necessary… If you have the patience this will work…
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice article. SL

HUTCH
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com