Thread: ShadowCat High nock problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default ShadowCat High nock problem

I did a search and didn't see any other posts on this.

I have 3 Shadow Cats and they all exhibit the same behavior. To get acceptable arrow flight The nock point is .5 to .635 inches above square. I'm a long time finger shooter shooting 2 fingers under. This seems to me to be extreme but while paper tuning I get bullet holes with this setup.

Lets talk specifically about one of the three it is a 57# 30.5" draw bow.

So far I have found that the Carbon Express Maxima 250's @ 29" with a 100 grain point seem to fly the best out of it. However acording to the chart this would be under spined.

I have also tried these arrows CXL 350's, CXL hunter 350's, Eason XX75 2117's and Maxima 3d 350's. En every case to get the arrow to paper tune I need an ultra high nock point. Several other finger shooters on AT have also reported this bizarre behavior.

Aside from testing multiple arrows I have also tried these things.
    - Adjusted the tiller 1/8" smaller on the bottom
    - Change from a flipper to a Quick tune 360 arrow rest. Test both for clearance issues using foot powder.
    - Removed the STS
    - Double triple checked the cam modules are set in the same holes and that the cam tune is correct in sync.
    - I switched from the original cams that were on the bow (2010) to the CatCam 2. both cam styles demonstrated the same high nock issue.
    - I had a set of the 2010 problem child limbs they broke and the new limbs also show same behavior.

So from what I can think of all I have left to tinker with is to set the cam timing so it is off sync. This I consider to be a last resort. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Perhaps something I should have tried but Haven't? I would also like to hear from others suffering from this same fate.

I would shoot the bow like this except it looks absolutely ridiculous! I might reiterate all three ShadowCats I have show this same behavior in varying degrees but I'm only trouble shooting this one to keep it simple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried using any other rests ? A spring steel or TM hunter style ?

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

I would try a release to eliminate any form issues and also cam timing as you suggested. In my experience with cat 2s, I found different timing was not an issue and have used it successfully with my Warthog.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tested with a Stan back tension release and it shoots bullet holes with the nock high as shown in the photo. This is the darndest thing I have ever seen?

The new cams did not come marked top or bottom are they identical or is one heavier than the other and need to go on the bottom?

SonnyThomas

Default ShadowCat High nock problem

My 2010 Shadowcat is nock zero. If all three are doing this then it may be to the way you set them up. I'd look to timing, but back the draw stop way off. Cables should lay flat in both mods at the same time. I don't like a draw board for this. I like to be able have pressure on the grip as I would when shooting and then be able to "floating" the bow (let up very, very slightly - testing) to make sure the cables are as they should be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    My 2010 Shadowcat is nock zero. If all three are doing this then it may be to the way you set them up. I'd look to timing, but back the draw stop way off. Cables should lay flat in both mods at the same time. I don't like a draw board for this. I like to be able have pressure on the grip as I would when shooting and then be able to "floating" the bow (let up very, very slightly - testing) to make sure the cables are as they should be.
    As stated above the cams are completely in sync they are perfect. on this bow with the Cat Cams it's not as critical but they are perfect.

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey bow bender just a shot in the dark but my son had a bow that the nocking point was too high. so we set the nocking point and found that his peep sight was too high. Just a shot in the dark.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archerx7 View Post
    Have you tried using any other rests ? A spring steel or TM hunter style ?
    Try a different rest, if you have not already done so. The NAP 360 has a solid launcher and will produce some odd tuning problems on certain bows.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archerx7 View Post
    Try a different rest, if you have not already done so. The NAP 360 has a solid launcher and will produce some odd tuning problems on certain bows.
    X2 That rest on the PSE I had was a real pain.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys I had already tried 3 different rests none of them had any affect.

OK I switched the bottom limb to the top just in case there was a discrepancy in the limbs.
    - apparently there wasn't any limb discrepancies since nothing in the arrow tuning changed it was exactly the same.

I then noticed that the cable guard was at the minimum clearance it looked like the vanes were missing it by about 1/8" and there were no wear marks on the cables but I figured i would bump it out just a bit to ensure there would be no future clearance issues. Well I tried to nudge it out just an 1/8" but it jumped out 3/8" so I said the heck with it that will ensure there is no contact. I tighten it down like that.

WOW what a difference I had to move the nock down 3/8" to get decent arrow flight. I'm reasonably certain that it was not hitting the cable but something about bumping the cable guard out made a drastic difference in the nock position. My guess is that, that little bit of extra friction causes the string to move slightly different. Frankly I'm so relieved to have that darned thing only 1/4" high that I don't really care why it mattered just that it did. I hope this solves the problem for others too!