Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How's my timing look?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How's my timing look?

2009 FIRECAT TR1. What's your thoughts? If timing is way off, what would I need to do to fix it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a pic of my 2010 tr1 cam,my ATA is 32" half inch short of spec but came from factory this way.If i would compare them looks like your a little long.
    Im not sure of any difference between models but as long as your in spec i would say your ok.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

@ Speedykills yours looks fine. As far as ATA your cable is probably twisted too much.

@ martinbowhunter the string and cable are too twisted. And it looks like it is over rotated. Measure your ATA and bh if they are not right you need to untwist the cable to match the ATA and the string to match the pic.

The red line indicates that the string should be about 1/4 on an inch away from the cam.

Hutch
    Last edited by Hutch~n~Son Archery; 03-13-2011 at 05:07 AM.
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by martinbowhunter View Post
    2009 FIRECAT TR1. What's your thoughts? If timing is way off, what would I need to do to fix it?
    Your timing is a bit off, looking at your first picture the cam needs to be rotated clockwise to get rid of the gap between the string and cam.

This can be done by shortening the cable and/or lengthening the string. Which one depends on ATA length, shortening the cable by itself reduces ATA, lengthening the string increases it. Because strings and cables are known to strech, I would guess the the cable is what will need adjustment.

That being said, I also noticed the serving is separated on the cable where it rolls over the cam. I suggest that this might be a good time for a new string and cable; my recomendation is Vapor Trail, good price, fast service and no stretch so everything will stay in tune next time.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    Here is a pic of my 2010 tr1 cam,my ATA is 32" half inch short of spec but came from factory this way.If i would compare them looks like your a little long.
    Im not sure of any difference between models but as long as your in spec i would say your ok.
    To lenghten your ATA your string and cable need to be longer, ie. untwisted. The string, being longer than the cable, will need more adjustment. Someone on here recommended a 5:1 ratio recently I think, don't quote me on this.

If you just untwist the cable your timing will end up like martinbowhunter's.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses guys. Ok, so I took some measurements this morning. Measuring from the very top of the top axle to the very bottom of the bottom axle, my ATA measurement was 32 1/8 inch. Not sure if thats the right way to get the ATA measurement? As for the BH measurement 7 3/8 inch. Funny thing is I got this bow from the factory with these specs, never made any adjustments to the string, knew nothing about twisting and untwisting strings until I became a member of this forum. So, I'm a novice when it comes to bow tuning, so please dumb it down for me to the best of your abilities when it comes to twisting/untwisting cables/strings. Thanks again and sorry for the future headaches that you guys will be getting while working with me on my cam timing issues. So, what will I need to do guys to fix this?

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You measure your ATA from the center to center of the axles. Your bottom limb should have the measurements for the lengths of the string and cable. One will say shoot (string) and the other will say buss (cable). This bow doesn't require a bow press. So you need to back out the limb bolts till you see the end of the bolt in the barrel nut do this equally 2 full turns one then the other. This will loosen your string and cable enough to take of from the bow. Take pics so you can remember how they go back on. Your string needs to be untwisted to specs what ever the string length is suppose to be. And your cable as well. Then put everything back on the bow and check the specs. If the don't match then loosen again this time you won't need to take them off. Just twist or untwist as necessary.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like both of you guys have short ATAs from the factory???

If martinbowhunter shortens his cable to correct the timing, his ATA will be close to Speedykills; I wonder if the spec is listed wrong?

It doesn't make sense to have to untwist factory strings that have been in use and should be already longer from stretching???? The string needs some twists in it, might not be able to untwist it enough to get to the "correct" ATA. Just thinking out loud.

martinbowhunter, we all have to learn sometime, you'll get there. I suggest looking at the bow and trying to figure out how the string mechanics work, it's a little easier with a one cam. The string just rolls around the idler at the top. On the cam, the cable is attached on one side, both ends of the string are attached on the other. Shortening the cable rotates the cam one way, shortening the string does the opposite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptJJ View Post
    Looks like both of you guys have short ATAs from the factory???

If martinbowhunter shortens his cable to correct the timing, his ATA will be close to Speedykills; I wonder if the spec is listed wrong?

It doesn't make sense to have to untwist factory strings that have been in use and should be already longer from stretching???? The string needs some twists in it, might not be able to untwist it enough to get to the "correct" ATA. Just thinking out loud.

martinbowhunter, we all have to learn sometime, you'll get there. I suggest looking at the bow and trying to figure out how the string mechanics work, it's a little easier with a one cam. The string just rolls around the idler at the top. On the cam, the cable is attached on one side, both ends of the string are attached on the other. Shortening the cable rotates the cam one way, shortening the string does the opposite.
    Yes, it would seem. Now i'm wondering if the spec's is listed wrong as well???

And actually Speedykill and my ATA measurments are the same.....32" even. I just measured wrong at first. So that's a whole 1/2" off from factory specs However i did manage too untwist it enough to get to factory spec's on the string. Factory spec's on the string is 90" when i measured mine at first it was 89 1/2" I just hope i didn't untwist the string to much. Untwisted it till i got to 90". So as of now my ATA is 32 1/2" and my bh is 7 3'16". So im good on my ATA and just a 16th of on my bh. And thanks to everyone for replying.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a pic of the cam after adjustments. ATA before adjustment was 32 inch even, now ATA is 32 1/2 inch. BH before adjustment was 7 3/8 inch, now BH is 7 3/16 inch. Still looks a little off to me? Still can't get it to look like Hutch's cam timing. Thought?