Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 firecat tr1 ATA length!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2010 firecat tr1 ATA length!!!!!!!!

Ok i didnt want to hijack that other guys thread,so back to my ATA being 32" instead of 32-1/2 as advdertised.I always thought that specs given to bows were just a ball park measurement,maybe i was wrong but a half inch is quite a bit.Wonder if it will effect my limbs or anything,its shooting great right now but now im kinda worried about it.what to do,what to do!.
    Ive only been shooting this bow a month or so with 200 shots on her.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    Ok i didnt want to hijack that other guys thread,so back to my ATA being 32" instead of 32-1/2 as advdertised.I always thought that specs given to bows were just a ball park measurement,maybe i was wrong but a half inch is quite a bit.Wonder if it will effect my limbs or anything,its shooting great right now but now im kinda worried about it.what to do,what to do!.
    Ive only been shooting this bow a month or so with 200 shots on her.
    ATA should be with in a 1/4 of an inch. 1/2" is too much. Loosen the limb bolts a couple of turns on one than the other till you see the bolt ends in the barrel nut. This should loosen the string and cables. Untwist your cable 5 to 6 turns. Than untwist your string 2 to 3 turns to compensate for the longer ATA. This will make sure your draw length won't be too short.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I posted something about this on the other thread, it will take more than a little untwisting to make up th 1/2", I'm wondering if the spec is wrong???

I guess the problem with a short ATA would be too much preload on the limbs, I don't think that would be an issue with 60 lb limbs. If it's shooting good, I wouldn't worry.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptJJ View Post
    I'm wondering if the spec is wrong???
    I don't think that would be an issue with 60 lb limbs. If it's shooting good, I wouldn't worry.
    Nope my 2010 Bengal was a 1/2 to short when it came out of the box.

Yes it would be an issue on 60lb limbs, pre-load is pre-load on any limb.

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like both of you guys have short ATAs from the factory???

If martinbowhunter shortens his cable to correct the timing, his ATA will be close to Speedykills; I wonder if the spec is listed wrong?

It doesn't make sense to have to untwist factory strings that have been in use and should be already longer from stretching???? The string needs some twists in it, might not be able to untwist it enough to get to the "correct" ATA. Just thinking out loud.

martinbowhunter, we all have to learn sometime, you'll get there. I suggest looking at the bow and trying to figure out how the string mechanics work, it's a little easier with a one cam. The string just rolls around the idler at the top. On the cam, the cable is attached on one side, both ends of the string are attached on the other. Shortening the cable rotates the cam one way, shortening the string does the opposite.

You might be on to something here,maybe spec on martin site is wrong,i dont think i could get 1/2" out of these strings.Why would 2 firecats be same ata if it wasnt right.Well anyway before i take any twist out i think ill call martin just to verify first.
    Not that i dont trust your guys advise,i do,but maybe they know something we dont.Hey thats what life time warrenty for right......

Post Thanks / Like

Now we have three people that said the ATA was about 1/2" short from the factory. Something's not right.

I don't see any harm done by 1/4" of extra preload on each limb. They're gonna bend much more when drawn.

Speedykills calling Martin makes sense.

Something odd I found about listed ATA's:
    Bengal: 2008- 32", 2009 & 2010- 32 1/4"
    Moab/TR1: 2008- 32 3/4", 2009 & 10- 32 1/2"
    If each year shares the same cam, why did the ATA increase 1/4" on the Bengal and decrease 1/4" on the Moab/TR1?

Post Thanks / Like

When you look at this years specs,Martin has put" approximate"beside BH and ATA.So probably last years specs are approximate,not sure if 1/2" would fall into that or not.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

My 2007 Bengal was 32" ATA my 2010 Bengal 32-1/4. You might just think when assembling that many bows they might have been twisting and setting to the old specs not the new.

Also think about it! 2010 bows came with the worst strings known to the industry.
    They all were twisted to different lengths. The bows that were coming out of my dealer's boxes had different ATA'S.

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    My 2007 Bengal was 32" ATA my 2010 Bengal 32-1/4. You might just think when assembling that many bows they might have been twisting and setting to the old specs not the new.

Also think about it! 2010 bows came with the worst strings known to the industry.
    They all were twisted to different lengths. The bows that were coming out of my dealer's boxes had different ATA'S.

Hutch
    Well if thats the case,wow i hope not then maybe wrong strings are on mine.I just ran a few arrows and boy she's fast,that CSS really bends those limbs..

Post Thanks / Like

Was the 2010 Bengal 32 1/4" or 1/2" shorter when it came from the factory like you already posted?

If it came from the factory at 31 3/4", that would be the same 1/4" decrease in ATA that happened with the Moab/TR1 with the same cam change. Why would the same cam change cause one bow to increase in ATA and another to decrease? See what I'm getting at.