Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F.o.c

Post Thanks / Like

Default F.o.c

My arrows are 9.8% foc, according to charts thats within range. What is the best for performance? How critical is foc?

Post Thanks / Like

For target shooting, I'd think you should be just fine. For hunting, I'd try to get the FOC a little higher. The arrows I'm shooting right now are close to 19% FOC. They seem to get better penetration that way. They say 10-15% is what to shoot for as an all around arrow. Most of what I've hunted with in the past has been right at 14-15%, and it works well. Makes for a good stable arrow.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

x2 Ehunter said it. Mine are about 12% and work great. But I probably will bring them up a little more.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

ok if Iuse the caculator on hunters friend where I had my arrows made,and go with 125gr heads then I get 12% foc. I'll try them and see how I shoot.as I stated in another thread My arrows today were shooting slightly tail left,will going to a heavier head throw it off more or less?

Post Thanks / Like

How well do they fly ?
    keep in mind If all your doing is shooting for fun / hunting..all you need to worrie about is how they fly with BH on.
    I agree with The fact the higher it is the better the flight. but with new compound bows launching arrows like a stinger missile 5% just dont factor in

Trad Bows..well that when it truly matters

This is supposed to be a fun thing to do, not stress a guy out
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i definately know how to stress my self out lol I enjoy the tinkering though. I just have to get used to tuning this new bow. I'm not used to tuning with y cables and single cams. My old hoyt was a breeze to tune but it was also a bear of a bow. One of the reasons I'd consider going to 125's is that I still have a old pack of muzzy's unopened and if they fly well might as well use them. This is such a great forum by getting everyones input it gives me a good foundation to start,and besides it'll distract me from the fact hunting season is 6 months away lol

Post Thanks / Like

If you have them Use them...Itsa no brainer that way becides I realy like my 125 meat smackin muzzys
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
    How well do they fly ?
    keep in mind If all your doing is shooting for fun / hunting..all you need to worrie about is how they fly with BH on.
    I agree with The fact the higher it is the better the flight. but with new compound bows launching arrows like a stinger missile 5% just dont factor in

Trad Bows..well that when it truly matters

This is supposed to be a fun thing to do, not stress a guy out
    I agree, you're over-thinking it if you are calculating FOC to the tenth(0.1%), it's just gotta be in the range. Have fun.
    Recurves: 40lb X-200, 45 & 50lb Hunters, 45lb Mamba

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with a Muzzy, tough, ya can reharpen them, and there are differnt tip weights.

http://www.broadheadtalk.com/muzzy/2...ip-weight.html
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Everything I read is that the FOC for hunting should be between 10%-15% so that;s what I was shooting for. And if any of you are interested I have an unopened pack of Muzzy 125's and practice blades never used just PM me.
    2010 Bengal,63#, 28dl, Easton ST Excels 400s @ 27.5", GT 5575s @ 27.5", or Beman 400s @ 27.5, ST 100 Magnums/Grim Reapers, older WB, Bonecollector 1100 Sights, LimbSaver "S" coil stabilizer, Grayling four arrow quiver, nocturnal nocks, Hutch-n-Sons cable/strings