Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: when and why not to re-shoot an arrow

Post Thanks / Like

Stumpkiller over at BHT says hes shot wood out of a compound, spined 20# heavier than the bow he shot them from. I'm not gonna try.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Those pics are also what kept me from shooting carbon for so long but had to try them anyway. Shot xx75's for a very long time.
    2010 Bengal,63#, 28dl, Easton ST Excels 400s @ 27.5", GT 5575s @ 27.5", or Beman 400s @ 27.5, ST 100 Magnums/Grim Reapers, older WB, Bonecollector 1100 Sights, LimbSaver "S" coil stabilizer, Grayling four arrow quiver, nocturnal nocks, Hutch-n-Sons cable/strings

Post Thanks / Like

When i was completely new to compounds i also shot some wooden arrows from a 55# bow. Nothing happened except for one arrow which has broken when hit the ground after missing the target. I wouldn't shoot a wooden shaft from a compound anymore, but i guess that if you can shoot a wooden arrow from a 120-150# longbow you can shoot it from a 55# compound too.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

SonnyThomas

Default when and why not to re-shoot an arrow

I've seen a bunch of "bad shot" arrows. Usually the arrow is trashed well enough there is no doubt it is junk. Sometimes just the end of the shaft is damaged. Inspection of the arrow may prove that it can be cut off beyond the cracks and be suited for short draw people or kids to shoot.

After some 11 years of shooting carbon arrow I have yet to have one "blow" during the shot. Of all the reported carbon arrows blowing not one of them has been with a brand new never shot arrow. Which says the the blown arrow was damaged prior to it blowing.

Inspection of arrow should always follow after being pulled, where carbon or aluminum. Granted, the aluminum arrow probably won't blow, but they are sure are known to bend when hitting something and will crank or ding badly when hit by another arrow.

The pics shown, pretty nasty. BUT some of the youngster in here may not know how the safety start lever of the home lawn mower came into being.
    Well, two ole boys were drinking a bit to think over how to trim the hedge around one the ole boy's house. Yep, they fired up the lawn mower and picked it up to walk it down the top of the hedge. Bet their fingers and hands looked nasty too.
    In short, stupidity reigns supreme whether lawn mowers or arrows < Here, I'd say carelessness - and I am as much at fault as the next person.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    I've seen a bunch of "bad shot" arrows. Usually the arrow is trashed well enough there is no doubt it is junk. Sometimes just the end of the shaft is damaged. Inspection of the arrow may prove that it can be cut off beyond the cracks and be suited for short draw people or kids to shoot.

good point here ... SIL wreak havoc on some carbon's hitting solid things now they are 24" and G son shoots um ...lol ..but his 10lb bow is sort of tame ...lol
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/