Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hey guys with the hammer head strings!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    What are HH strings?
    they are the new hammerhead strings martin is using

Post Thanks / Like

Got it. I was thinking one of the H stood for "Hutch" and was trying to figure out the other.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Hutch haven't done anything with the loop just the observance of the serving below it in an earlier post of which you guys assured me not to worry. Don't know if it would make a difference to rotate it or not if possible. If that's what you are refering to then any suggestions are appreciated. PM me if need to. Thanks again.
    2010 Bengal,63#, 28dl, Easton ST Excels 400s @ 27.5", GT 5575s @ 27.5", or Beman 400s @ 27.5, ST 100 Magnums/Grim Reapers, older WB, Bonecollector 1100 Sights, LimbSaver "S" coil stabilizer, Grayling four arrow quiver, nocturnal nocks, Hutch-n-Sons cable/strings

Post Thanks / Like

Since there are no old posts on the subject. What is a good string wax for the HammerHead strings?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    Since there are no old posts on the subject. What is a good string wax for the HammerHead strings?
    i just bought black lightning.i will use it tonight for the fist time on my winnerschoice

Post Thanks / Like

I use the same tube of BCY ML6 that I've had for at least 5 years. At the rate I use it it looks like it's good for another 15 years. I do wax my strings when need be, but I don't overuse it. A good cleaning and waxing about 4 times a year is plenty. That's an average of every 2,000 shots or so.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Barry.

I see there are so many flavors of string wax so I know some must be better than others. I figured the ML6 would be safe since it was made for/by BCY.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

There are several new ones out that might be better, but I haven't bought any for years. The ML-6 is what BCY recommended sevral years ago. They still do, but they've got another wax now. When I worked in a shop I also used White Lightning and Black Lightning (on black strings). Now there's Scorpion Venom and others, Seems like everybody wants a piece of the pie.

The one wax I don't like is TexTite. I think they may have changed it, but just a few years ago it was a hard wax. More like candle wax and it took a heap of burnishing to get it into the strings.

Heck, I've even used Ten Point crossbow wax. Some may scoff at the idea, but what makes people think those strings are any different? Just more strands, that's all.

I honestly think most people get carried away with waxing too much. Some wax after every shooting session. This is too much. It's not hard to just take a look or feel the string once in a while. If it looks or feels dry then it probably needs some, but don't cake it on. Rub it on and then rub it in vigorously using a piece of leather or even between the thumb and index finger. You just want to create enough heat to soften the wax some more so it penetrates the strands. The main danger of not waxing the strings is not that they will rub external things such as a bow case, brush, your arm, or whatever. The most damage is caused by the grit and grime that gets in between the strands and causes abrasion just from the strinds rubbing each other. That's why you don't need a lot, but what you get on needs to be rubbed in.

Another trick is after you are done burnishing you can take a length of dental floss and make a complete wrap around the string, pull it snug and pull it toward the end or center, depending on where you start. This removes most of the excess wax that does nothing but colloect some of that grit and grime. Once you do this then take that thumb/finger and rub it in a little more. Now you're done for another 3 months, or two thousand shots, whichever comes last.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Marriage is like a deck of cards....
    In the beginning all you need is two hearts and a diamond
    By the end you wish you had a club and a spade!!!
    I know it's got nay to do with HH strings, but LOL nearly fell off the flamin chair!!....... that's very funny MLN. Not for the eyes of the sweet lil wife however.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up HH strings

Hutch, I've got the HH strings on my Silencer. Right out of the box it took about 100 shots to get it to settle down. Then when I was messing with the string and cables to get things dialed in to my liking, it only took a shot or two to get it to settle back down. There is NO WEAR on my strings around the TRG and I have close to 3000 shots thru mine now. I love the strings! and I think the green and black twist from Martin is pretty cool looking.
    -2011 Martin Silencer 63# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .029 sight, Alpine Whisperflite drop away rest, Alpine 5 arrow quiver, G5 1/4" Meta Peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Warrior and Expedition Hunter (385gr), G5 Montec
    -2011 Martin Silencer, 73# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .019 sight, QAD Ultra Rest Pro LD, Tight Spot 5 arrow quiver, 1/4" G5 Meta peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Expedition Hunter 7595 camo (441gr), G5 Montec BH.