Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Onza 3 arrow speeds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Onza 3 arrow speeds

So I have had a new Onza 3 for a few months now and **** it thru the chrono today. I'm at 29"dl, 360gr Gold Tips and 64lbs in draw weight. I shot 3 arrows and had 277 twice and a 278fps. Does this sound right or a little on the slow side to you guys. I have replaced the factory Hammerhead strings and put on a set of Korbins Custom strings. The ATA and brace height are exactly what the factory specs say it should be. I did not put the speed nocks on the string under the shrink tube like the Hammerheads had. Do you guys think I should do this? Just thinking this bow should be faster than this is all. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boothill View Post
    So I have had a new Onza 3 for a few months now and **** it thru the chrono today. I'm at 29"dl, 360gr Gold Tips and 64lbs in draw weight. I shot 3 arrows and had 277 twice and a 278fps. Does this sound right or a little on the slow side to you guys. I have replaced the factory Hammerhead strings and put on a set of Korbins Custom strings. The ATA and brace height are exactly what the factory specs say it should be. I did not put the speed nocks on the string under the shrink tube like the Hammerheads had. Do you guys think I should do this? Just thinking this bow should be faster than this is all. Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Ohhh ohhhh, you said a bad word . Not to sure myself but im sure others who would know will chime in any minute now.

Post Thanks / Like

My bow is a 2008 Firecat - not exactly the same but quite similar with respect to cams and all. Some time ago I took it to my dealer and shot their 360 grain arrow through their chronograph and it consistently shot 290 fps with my DW at 63 lbs and DL at 29" - basically the same as what you're saying your Onza 3 is set to. Based on what your setup is shooting I'd venture to say it's a little slower than what I'd expect. Are you sure about the draw weight and draw length it's set to?
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67,5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

dont know if this helps but.im at a 28.5 dl,382 grn gt arrows,set at 73# and i am shooting 308 fps..

Post Thanks / Like

Onza 3 IBO 330-340
    29" DL
    64# DW
    360 grain arrow

Depending on what you have on the string (I used 20 grains) I would expect around 299 fps. So yes, 278 fps seems slow. 20-30 fps off the pace is pretty far off IMO. Maybe the lighting wasn't good for the chrono and it was reading slow?

http://www.backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/calc/
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

When the bow was new thru the dealer chrono and exact same arrow it was mid 270's as well. I'd heard that the dealers chrono was off so didn't worry about it that much. Shot it thru another dealers unit yesterday in full daylight so now it makes me wonder. I'm not a total speed freak just wish it was closer to what it should be is all. I shot a 310gr arrow thru it and it was only 298 I believe. I had a 2008 Firecat that shot in the 280's with the exact same arrow and setup with a Ripcord and G5 peep. I shot a Bowtech Invasion yesterday at 60lbs that shot my arrow 303fps.

Post Thanks / Like

If putting the speed buttons on don't bring you much closer to the advertised speed a call to Martin is in order. I know people say don't worry about it but I am of the mind that if a manufacture says its product should attain a certain performance factor then I expect that.

My brother and all his buddies are in the Bowtech Brigade and their bows are on the money. I am going to get a Martin twin cam bow and if it isn't close to the 335-345 fps that is advertised I will not be happy.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

My Onza3 @ 28.5/60.5 shoots 309 with a 305gr arrow. Add 15 for the DL and thats 324. Mine still has the long center serving from the factory which will nock off about 5fps which puts it at 329, figure in another 5fps for the loop and fletcher peep puts it at 334. The factory string is 22 strands Trophy which is appox. 15gr heavier than a 24 strand 452X string, so a change in strings should bring it very close to 337-339.

You may want to check the cam timing. The speed nocks themselves can be worth 5-10 fps, you may want to put those on your new string.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone sets bows up different. From my experience with Martin over the last 6 years, I personally take the lowest rating they claim and substract 5fps from that, and that is what I expect to achieve after factoring in the reductions for draw, weight, etc.

For example, my '08 AlienX was rated 330fps. With my setup and reductions it calculates out to 325fps. My 2010 Shadowcat was rated 315-320fps. My setup came in at 311fps. Their rating is always done based on an empty string with nothing on it. I figure this is where my 5fps below rating comes from when I add a peep and loop.

Given all of this, it sounds like you are still way low. I agree to check the timing as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archerx7 View Post
    Mine still has the long center serving from the factory which will nock off about 5fps which puts it at 329, figure in another 5fps for the loop and fletcher peep puts it at 334. The factory string is 22 strands Trophy which is appox. 15gr heavier than a 24 strand 452X string, so a change in strings should bring it very close to 337-339.
    Martin knows what strings they are using and the configuration of the serving. It wasn't like this was a bow that was already out and they added a Hammer Head string to it. I guess I just don't understand telling you buy this bow because we are this fast, then you get it and find out you aren't getting what they say.
    Firecat 400