Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: speednocks true or false

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    Here is a video I found on YouTube showing how to cover them. I like the built in bow press of his bow. How convenient!
    This is APA bow i think. I know this guy from YouTube - he has some pretty expensive bows and obviously can afford to work on them in unusual way I wouldn't step on a 1000+$ bow and then play so long with the cigarette lighter around it.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cyclepath View Post
    Very cool video. Seems like the shrink tube would slow the bow down. It would be cool if there is a video of someone setting up the bow with the speednocks. Hey, sounds like a good job for me!
    Your not adding enough shrink tube to amount to anything and it's out near the cams so it doesn't slow the bow down. The shrink tube really isn't necssary anyway. If you install the nock points well they aren't coming off. I think the main purpose of the shrink tube is aesthetics anyway.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I spent hours combing the web and could not find a video to save my @$$. Seems to me that if this was such a great way to add fps that either a bow co. or a pro shop somewhere would have this online, if for no other reason than to show people what they could do for your bow if you brought it or sent it to them. At least show a couple bows with the before speednocks fps and after the speednocks speed. Anyone know someone or some place that does this stuff? Perhaps you could talk them into recording something. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cyclepath View Post
    Well, I spent hours combing the web and could not find a video to save my @$$. Seems to me that if this was such a great way to add fps that either a bow co. or a pro shop somewhere would have this online, if for no other reason than to show people what they could do for your bow if you brought it or sent it to them. At least show a couple bows with the before speednocks fps and after the speednocks speed. Anyone know someone or some place that does this stuff? Perhaps you could talk them into recording something. Just a thought.
    I'm sure some Pro Shops do this at a cost for their customers. Those are things they won't post on YouTube as it cuts into there potential clientele. Like Archerx7 said, it takes time and experimenting.

Some (most?) bow companies already do add some. I see them on Martins, PSE and other bows in one fashion or another.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 03-19-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I'm sure some Pro Shops do this at a cost for their customers. Those are things they won't advertise as it cuts into there potential clientele. Like Archerx7 said, it takes time and experimenting.

Some (most?) bow companies already do add some. I see them on Martins, PSE and other bows in one fashion or another.
    Correct, Most shops that are equipped with a chrono will offer this service for thier customers, but it can be very time consuming and if the shop charges by the hour, this would probably be something most wouldn't consider as the gains vs cost wouldn't be worth it for the average archer unless they are really concerned with getting every last bit of performance from thier equipment.

Most manufacturers use computer programs to come up with the locations and weight of the speed nocks, which in some cases will leave a little bit more to gain by actually using a chrono.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with Barry - shrink wrap is not needed. Quite some time back the Martin originally installed speed nocks on the upper end of my string were replaced by my dealer - don't recall why but they were. When the news one were installed the was no shrink wrap put on. They stayed on and in the exact same location for the next couple of years until I removed them to install my No-Glove speed nock replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Your not adding enough shrink tube to amount to anything and it's out near the cams so it doesn't slow the bow down. The shrink tube really isn't necssary anyway. If you install the nock points well they aren't coming off. I think the main purpose of the shrink tube is aesthetics anyway.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 66# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made torque reducing cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

Really not meaning to sound like a jerk......but shrink tube is pretty inexpensive and only takes a few minutes to install. I have seen a speed nock come off the string at the shot and it left a pretty nice welt right beside the guys eye, another couple inches and he would have most likley lost his sight in that eye. Shrink wrap is cheap insurance considering the speed your string is traveling during the shot. Really no different than flexing your carbon shafts before shooting them.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Not to mention that it looks so much better with the shrink tube. It looks nice and professional, not cobbed together.
    Firecat 400