Thread: New limbs coming-Any advice on "how to"?

Post Thanks / Like

Default New limbs coming-Any advice on "how to"?

Going to have to change limbs on my Shadowcat. Any step by step instructions/recommendations that'll make the job easier?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah ,take pictures before you dismantle it,espically strings and cables routing.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

Its real quick and easy if you have a press, probably won't even have to retune or resight. What I do when swapping limbs is to press the bow, remove the eclip from one side of each axle then use a allen wrench to push the axles out, leaving the allen wrenches in place, leave the string and cables attached to the cams and slip the cable slide off the rod with the cables still in the slide and let them hang. remove the allen wrenches, there should be enough tension between the limbs and cams that the cams won't drop out. grab each cam and pull them out together keeping them arms length apart so the string/cables stay in place, I have 2 hooks placed about 30" apart on the wall behind the press. I hang the cams on the hooks and remove the bow from the press, remove old limbs, put a small dab of lithium grease on the rockers and limb bolts and install the new limbs. Reinstall the cams, axles, slide and check to make sure the loops are still attached to the cam pegs and remove the bow from the press. Check DW/DL and adjust if needed, go shoot.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archerx7 View Post
    Its real quick and easy if you have a press, probably won't even have to retune or resight. What I do when swapping limbs is to press the bow, remove the eclip from one side of each axle then use a allen wrench to push the axles out, leaving the allen wrenches in place, leave the string and cables attached to the cams and slip the cable slide off the rod with the cables still in the slide and let them hang. remove the allen wrenches, there should be enough tension between the limbs and cams that the cams won't drop out. grab each cam and pull them out together keeping them arms length apart so the string/cables stay in place, I have 2 hooks placed about 30" apart on the wall behind the press. I hang the cams on the hooks and remove the bow from the press, remove old limbs, put a small dab of lithium grease on the rockers and limb bolts and install the new limbs. Reinstall the cams, axles, slide and check to make sure the loops are still attached to the cam pegs and remove the bow from the press. Check DW/DL and adjust if needed, go shoot.
    Good explanation, and it really is about that simple.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

SonnyThomas

Default New limbs coming-Any advice on "how to"?Reply to Thread.

The only thing I would add, back off the limb bolts so that you can look through the bushing. If I remember you had the little plastic plugs in each side of the bushing.

Post Thanks / Like

Even if you dont have a press it is very easy.
    Just back the limb bolts off untill the string/cables get slack then lay the bow on its side on a table with a towel on it.
    Follow the steps in Archerx7's post to remove everything and reassemble.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I kind of thought that's the way I'd to it. I have an EZ press so I'll give it a try...if I get the limbs in time for Paris.