Thread: Peep orientation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Peep orientation

Whats the best way to line up your peep with the sight? When looking through the peep is it better to line it up so the view is such that you can see the outside of the sight or have it so the view has the sight ring on the outside of the peep?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there is a "better" way, after all it is archery and like everything else archery related it comes down to personal preferance. with that said...i line up the inside diameter of my peep with the outside of the sight ring. work's for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's however you are most comfortable shooting personally. I prefer to have the peep make a ring around the sight guard. Honestly though, once I'm on target, my peep pretty much dissapears. I concentrate on the target.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but I think it would pretty hard to have the peep sight so that the sight guard were outside the peep. For one thing this would call for a very small peep as it is so close to your eye. As the others have said, it has become common to pick a peep aperture sized so that as you look through it the sight guard is just inside the peep opening.

Depending on draw length, length of ths sight rod and a couple other matters most people will end up with a peep aperture between 1/8" and 1/4", with 3/16" being the most common.

This has become common the last few years, but I remember using a 1/32" peep with a scope years ago for indoor spots. I can tell you this. With a peep that small you can't be off by very much or you won't be able to see squat through that thing. And the bow better fit you or you'll have to hunting around to see through it, something you should never have to do. The other biggest obstacle to such a small peep is that it allows very little light through it.

Frankly I don't think it's necessary to have the guard within the peep. It's supposed to show whether you are anchored correctly and/or torquing the bow. Well, IMO, if you torque the bow then you need to work on shooting form more. As for making for a more consistent anchor? Your eye will automatically want to center within the peep aperture no matter what the size. If you are using a 3/16" peep then probably the most you would ever be off is half that, or 3/32" and your eye would make you change your anchor to correct that little bit anyway.

I'm not absolutely sure which would be the best thing to use, but experience has always shown me that the smaller the peep is the better accuracy will be. But also to be considered is that you need a larger one for hunting, especially when light starts fading and in many 3D scenerios. For target work where lighting isn't an issue I don't think it matters. Smaller might be better.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

i"m shooting a 30" ata bow and the peep is a little further than i like from my face, it's a 7/32. I'm strictly backyard and hunting shooter. I've noticed i'm more acurate but caan see where low light will be an issue. i"m also looking into some of the no peep sight especially the no peep just experimenting before hunting season comes