Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: loud bow solutions

Post Thanks / Like

What's your draw weight? And you said your shooting 340 grain arrows? To me that seem's a little on the light side. I shoot mostly pigs so i personally shoot heavier arrows...around 440 grains. Plus just the little heavier arrows quiet down the bow alot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by martinbowhunter View Post
    What's your draw weight? And you said your shooting 340 grain arrows? To me that seem's a little on the light side. I shoot mostly pigs so i personally shoot heavier arrows...around 440 grains. Plus just the little heavier arrows quiet down the bow alot.
    Good thought...I checked Easton's site for him and the 340st epic arrow is 9.5 grs inch. they put the 29" shaft @276grs.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

i think my arrows come in right at 400.
    im pulling 70 lbs
    2011 FireCat 400 Tru Glo Super Slam, Carbon Express 8in Stabilizer, limb-saver string silencers.

Post Thanks / Like

A little more arrow weight won't hurt. I'm shooting 447 grn arrows out of my 63#er.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    A little more arrow weight won't hurt. I'm shooting 447 grn arrows out of my 63#er.
    All my arrows are over 420 grains, and I'm shooting about 63 lbs. as well. I have no silencers on my string. I just have an STS and Limbsavers.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just a few suggestions - my 2 cents worth. First, instead of Loctite for preventing screws from working loose try string wax on the screw threads. This works as good and won't make it so hard to remove the screws later on and won't leave residue in the threaded holes.

Second, the previous suggestions for shooting heavier arrows. This will definitely quiet your bow very noticeably. You will lose some initial speed but heavier arrows retain more of their initial speed over distance than do lighter arrows. In other words, light arrows leave the bow faster but they lose speed considerably quicker over the distance they travel to the target where as heavier arrows lose much less speed over distance. Heavier arrows also have more mass which results in greater momentum which in turn provides greater penetration potential. Even if you're "only hunting whitetails" you never know if your arrow is going to hit bone that might dramatically reduce the lethality of your shot, leaving you a long trailing effort to recover the animal or worse yet, a mortally wounded animal that you don't/can't find. My lightest arrows are 450 grain, for small game, and my heavier arrows are 560 grain, for elk and such. The noise level from the heavier arrows is quite a bit lower.

Third, if your bow is primarily for hunting, why worry about cat whiskers looking like "a donut spare tire on a Camaro"? For me and my hunting bow, my primary concern is to have it shoot the best possible and be as quiet as possible. I recently put a pair of musk ox wool silencers (from 3Rivers Archery) on my Firecat's string and achieved a noticeable reduction in noise level and duration. Take a look at some of the bows that TV celeb hunters use and you'll see a surprising number using cat whiskers to quiet the string on their compound bows.

Lastly, you definitely have a nice looking rig. I like the cloaked cams. Happy shooting and hunting.

100_3468.jpg
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67,5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyhud View Post
    Just a few suggestions - my 2 cents worth. First, instead of Loctite for preventing screws from working loose try string wax on the screw threads. This works as good and won't make it so hard to remove the screws later on and won't leave residue in the threaded holes.

Second, the previous suggestions for shooting heavier arrows. This will definitely quiet your bow very noticeably. You will lose some initial speed but heavier arrows retain more of their initial speed over distance than do lighter arrows. In other words, light arrows leave the bow faster but they lose speed considerably quicker over the distance they travel to the target where as heavier arrows lose much less speed over distance. Heavier arrows also have more mass which results in greater momentum which in turn provides greater penetration potential. Even if you're "only hunting whitetails" you never know if your arrow is going to hit bone that might dramatically reduce the lethality of your shot, leaving you a long trailing effort to recover the animal or worse yet, a mortally wounded animal that you don't/can't find. My lightest arrows are 450 grain, for small game, and my heavier arrows are 560 grain, for elk and such. The noise level from the heavier arrows is quite a bit lower.

Third, if your bow is primarily for hunting, why worry about cat whiskers looking like "a donut spare tire on a Camaro"? For me and my hunting bow, my primary concern is to have it shoot the best possible and be as quiet as possible. I recently put a pair of musk ox wool silencers (from 3Rivers Archery) on my Firecat's string and achieved a noticeable reduction in noise level and duration. Take a look at some of the bows that TV celeb hunters use and you'll see a surprising number using cat whiskers to quiet the string on their compound bows.

Lastly, you definitely have a nice looking rig. I like the cloaked cams. Happy shooting and hunting.

100_3468.jpg
    Nice bow RH.I agree ,I think the Cat Whiskers look better than the leeches,if they did not work,they would have been around as long as they have.And the wax is a good point,I also use it on my FP threads to keep them from backing out.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

I second the string wax I use it all the time. You definitely have to be thorough go over your bow precisely be cause I put cat whiskers, limbsaver limbsaver's, a limbsaver x-coil and cranked down on every bolt chasing a vibration and then finally relized the rod my pendulum sight pivots on was where the noise was coming from I put a little grease on it quiet as can be now!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Life View Post
    You should try Cat Whiskers instead of string leeches,seem to do a better job.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    But they look so bad. It's like putting a donut spare tire on a Camaro, it will get you there but you can tell by looking that it doesn't belong.
    Here you go.....http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...ight=cool+cats

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Colored donuts tires!

You know what they say, you can polish a turd but it's still a turd.

Just kidding. If they work better than anything else I would use them. Of course I'd get some Cool Cats in green/black to match my HH string!
    Firecat 400