Thread: How much will wind effect arrow flight ?

Post Thanks / Like

Question How much will wind effect arrow flight ?

I know that with all the variables in archery the answer to this is hard to nail down to a true for all scenario. But does any body have any guidelines that would apply in hunting situations? Cross wind, head wind etc. Thanks.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

SonnyThomas

Default How much will wind effect arrow flight ?

I'd like to know too. 10 years of shooting at it's still just a best guess shot. Heavy arrows and really thin arrows (Nanos) have some advantage. Basically, for cross winds, shoot into the wind. Hunting, up close and personal, 25 yards and less, it's best to shoot dead on. It would take one heck of wind to blow your arrow out of the kill zone. 30 yards and beyond it gets iffy. And still you "play" the wind. If it eases up and your aiming too far to one side or the other... Ouch. Head or tail wind, again up close and personal, it's best to shoot dead on. Longer distance, I don't know.

Paper target. Field would be tough. Outdoor target would be tough, but unlike Field, Outdoor target events usually have flags to give a indication of direction and strength of wind.

Indoors, it's a matter of who's pumping all the hot air

Post Thanks / Like

I tie about 7 " of thread to my S coil and sort of watch it as I stalk and or am about to shoot to get a feel for what the wind is doing. But like you said a good wind and around a 30 yd. shot I'm just guessing. Hunting situations are always different but even at practice sessions it seems my quessing could use some guidance. One or two inches off sometimes more when practicing will make you second guess longer shots when hunting. I guess there's no magic answer except practice, practice and more practice.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

I have my targets set to where I can shoot at 70 yards outdoors. I do shoot the ultra skinny Nano's Sonny mentioned. 386 gr. arrows @ 296 fps. From 40 yards and in, I've never had a wind so strong it blew the arrow more than an inch or two off course. Tartgets are straight south of where I shoot from, so I get head, tail, and cross winds all the time. Up on a hill, no trees around, nothing to block the wind. As long as the wind is slow enough I can keep my bow on the target, (it's not blowing the bow all over the place), I can keep everything in the kill zone of a deer out to 70 yards. At 70 yards, with a 15 mph wind, I'd guess it moves the arrow about 4-5 inches.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know of any general guidelines, but the variables you could have are endless.

I remember one windy 3D bowshoot last year. Winds were pretty stiff and steady that day, hitting us directly from the left on this one target at about 15-20mph.
    It was a broadside bull elk on an open hillside at about 40yds. My arrow (29" 422 gr, (3) 4" vanes @ 271 fps) drifted about 9-10" right of point of aim. Now, even though I was trying to keep blocked a bit by the one tall bush and my shooting partners, I'll admit I was still being pushed a bit by wind, and could have easily pull it right, but most others were hitting right of aim too.

The archery program I downloaded has a shot simulator in it, so the next day I put the shot data in it and it showed just over 7" wind drift under that specific situation with my specific set-up
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove