Thread: Draw cycle of Nitrous B cams

Post Thanks / Like

Default Draw cycle of Nitrous B cams

I just put strings on my Slayer and found the draw cycle of the B cam very harsh. Even with HL mods it seems as though there is very little letoff. C cams with HL mods at least had some letoff. I would hate to see what the B cams are like with 65% letoff.
    Rod Halford 1SG U.S. Army (Retired)
    Scott's Strings Staff Shooter www.scottsstrings.com
    Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter www.deadcenterarchery.com
    Pro Staff U-Slide Bow Holder www.u-slide.com
    M4L

Post Thanks / Like

The HL mods on a Nitrous cam is around 75%, can't get much more let-off because of that large axle bearing. You're old C's are now sporting the 65% mods, like all of my bows are. not fond of the HL mod, feels like I need to push it to get it to go, I like holding on the back wall. Have only shot B Nitrous a few times as I draw more than the B's can reach, but felt pretty much like the same drw cycle to me.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

After putting on new strings the B cams with HL mods are very touchy. You only have to flinch and it will go off. Maybe I have done something wrong in installing the strings but I don't believe so.
    M4L

Post Thanks / Like

I also notice that . It seems like the "wall" is so narrow that any forward creep and it wants to go . Finally I've just backed the draw weight down alot . Might be able to start bringing it back up later. Will be watching this thread for some tips maybe..
    '08 Firecat a righty
    '06 Slayer a lefty
    "97 High Country Protec

Post Thanks / Like

I have 4H limbs on my Slayer and that makes the max DW about 72lbs. I have turned it down to 55lbs, but there still seems to be no valley. I will probably try to find a set of limbs to bring it back down to the 45-60 range.
    M4L

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod26 View Post
    I have 4H limbs on my Slayer and that makes the max DW about 72lbs. I have turned it down to 55lbs, but there still seems to be no valley. I will probably try to find a set of limbs to bring it back down to the 45-60 range.
    For that you'd need something like 2M or 2H limbs. I'll let you in on a little secret about Nitrous cams. Whatever draw length you settle on shorten it up about 1/4". This will help you stay against the wall a little easier. This is something I found out about when I got my 2004 SlayR.

I'm going through a similar transition with my 2005 ShadowCat, but I'll start my own thread about it rather than hijack yours.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure your cams are both hitting the cables at the same time. You won't feel much of a double bump, if your cams are out of sync. You will just get a softer wall, and not much let-off.

The B cams will never give you as much let-off as the C cams. They both have the same cable leverage, but since the B cam is smaller, it doesn't give the string as much leverage.

I have never been able to get the B cams to provide a full 75% let-off. Measure your draw weight and your holding weight. If your draw weight is 65% to 70% higher than your holding weight, you are getting as much let-off as possible.

Here's a tip. Smaller diameter end servings on your cables, and larger diameter end servings on your string, will reduce your holding weight.

You can't do anything about the short valley of the NOS cam. It's the nature of the beast.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a very interesting thread, because I found that my results agree with parts of this and disagree with parts of this.

I have the following bows with nitrous cams...

Scepter II Elite with Nitrous A cams 50lbs
    Scepter IV Elite with Nitrous A cams 60lbs
    3 RazorX Magnum with Nitrous B cams 2 at 60lbs, 1 at 70lbs
    Rytera BulletX with Nitrous C cams 70lbs
    Rytera Triad Elite with Nitrous B cams 60lbs

I use HL mods on all of the cams. They all range from 50lbs, 60lbs and 70lbs max

After lots of tuning and tweaking to fit my draw length and preferences, I have measured every one of let-offs. All the bows where I am happy with the fit and feel work out to 76%, everyone. They are all the ones with A or B cams.

Where I agree with the others is that these setups have a narrow valley, if you creap, it does want to go.

The one issue where my findings disagree with the other comments is the one lone C cam bow I have, the BulletX with C cams. I have use the stock strings and custom-made Crackers strings. Tuned perfectly for timing many, many times, I can never get more than 62% let-off with the HL modules. The 65% modules yield only 58%. Don't ask me why, but there is nothing there for let-off on that bow. It is the only nitrous C cam i have ever owned and it is the only one that has never made me happy.

Just my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcriner View Post
    ...The one issue where my findings disagree with the other comments is the one lone C cam bow I have, the BulletX with C cams. I have use the stock strings and custom-made Crackers strings. Tuned perfectly for timing many, many times, I can never get more than 62% let-off with the HL modules. The 65% modules yield only 58%. Don't ask me why, but there is nothing there for let-off on that bow....
    It has a significantly shorter ATA, than the rest of your bows.

The shorter the ATA, the more string needs to be fed out to reach the same DL. The tighter the string angle, the closer you get to a 1 to 1 ratio of string-fed, to inches-of-stroke.

The closer you get to full draw, the tighter it gets.

However, you should still get at least 65% let-off, with the C cams and HL mods.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Hotrod did you change to the "B"s from a set of "C"s? That is the route I went. I actualy gained draw weight . My 60# limbs were pushing 70#. Don't know whatthe draw weight is at now . No scale to measure it on. Do know that it is a lot easier to shoot and hold at Full draw. Still has the if you creeep forward it wants to go. I just might trade it off . There is a Rytera Alien X at the local Scheels.
    '08 Firecat a righty
    '06 Slayer a lefty
    "97 High Country Protec